iPad mini Hello - is this iPad Mini salvageable?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Steviejobz, May 19, 2014.

1. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

Just got this Retina Mini a few months back. Cant believe a drop from 3-4 feet could do this much damage. Granted it fell onto a tile floor but this is absurd. Is going to Apple store pointless? If it were just the glass I would ask but the corner is totally bent. Never had any drops do this to the frame. I've had shattered glass that was fixed but this seems as though the damage is much worse. It still turns on and I can see the "slide to unlock" but otherwise I feel like I could be SOL.

Attached Files:

2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

You may be able to get an out of warranty replacement. I am not sure of the requirements or the cost, but it would be cheaper than buying a new one.

I would say take it in. Best of luck, let us know how it works out.

3. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

4. Steviejobz thread starter macrumors 68000

Tell me about it. Looks like it fell out of a friggin airplane. I'm 6' tall and fell from just above waist high.

5. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

GOOD GRIEF!

We you standing next to a big cliff?:cool:

6. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Really? But why is it all bent up? Did you get the Applecare Plus? If so, Apple may replace it with the $49 deductible. Although, they may not still. The Applecare Plus agreement states intentional abuse is not covered. Not saying you did, it just looks like it and that would be hard to prove that it was just a plain waist-high drop.
    Applecare Plus covers accidental damage but that doesn't quite look like an accident. :eek:

7. Steviejobz thread starter macrumors 68000

It was definitely an accident and a very typical drop. I must have dropped almost every apple device I have owned and other than the normal shattered front or back, I've never had a corner break like this. Oh well, looks like I'm SOL.

8. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

Apple does drop tests so lying about the actual drop heights is pointless. Just say the truth. :)

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Just bring it into the apple store and complain the home button is rattling :p

Seriously that is some significant damage from a short fall :(

Sorry to see damage on your iPad

10. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Or tell them that the screen has an uneven tint :)

11. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

I clearly see IR!

12. Steviejobz thread starter macrumors 68000

LOL. Well, thanks for the laughs. I should tell them the yellow tint is annoying. Or maybe it just spontaneously combusted and am contemplating suing due to a shard of screen in my eye.

I knew no one would believe this including me. I think Apple needs to prove to me in the store that dropping one from 4-5 feet onto marble doesn't cause this bending.

13. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

...and you still haven't learned about AppleCare+?

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Actually, I do believe you -- hitting a hard surface at an angle could cause that dent. Would have to be a particularly acute angle hitting on exactly that corner, I'd think.

15. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

That looks like a lot of damage from a 3-4 ft drop, but it isn't exactly unbelievable. I mean, the tile isn't going to give very much, so depending on how the iPad lands, it could sustain pretty heavy damage.

16. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Umm, it just really doesn't look like it was dropped only 3-4 ft from the ground. Even so, it wouldn't be all bent up like that on both sides and the glass wouldn't be that crunched up. Come on. It looks more like it was ran over by a car.

17. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I don't see any reason to not believe the OP's story. It seems like anytime a device gets damaged around here everyone accuses the poster of lying. It's not like he is one of the people who blames Apple for these types of things and expects a free replacement.

18. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

Would I be correct thinking it fell and hit that bent corner, causing the rest of the damage as a cascading effect?

19. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    A family member's iPad Mini (not retina) fell out of her car and suffered a similar corner dent. Screen cracked - not shattered. Out of warranty, we found a local repair shop who not only replaced the screen, but fixed the dent as well. They did a beautiful job for $150.

20. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

I believe the OP. A friend of mine was sitting in a chair and her iPhone 4s slipped off her thigh, landed on the floor, damage was just as ridiculous as that. I witnessed this, mind you. It can definitely happen.

21. Steviejobz thread starter macrumors 68000

Just to put a ribbon on this, Apple store said that it is not covered under limited warranty so a replacement would be $249, essentially 50% of what I paid for it. I'm not going to do it and just throw it on Craig's List for some small amount and allow someone the option to take it to Apple to get a $500 iPad for half price.

I have Apple care on both iPhones, mac, and old iPad. Just never put it on this. If I had Applecare, replacement would have been $79.

22. Rodster macrumors 68040

You might want to check with the credit card you used. Some CC companies offer accidental protection as part of their services. Typically it's 90 days from date of purchase but you might want to ask if they can extend it or pickup part of the repair cost.

23. Cozmosis macrumors member

Cozmosis

Yeah, but you'd have spent $100 for the privilege, so in reality you're only spending $70 more than what your net cost would have been.

Why would you not do it? You could have an iPad or decide to sell it after for much more $$.

24. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

So you are saying that you personally saw an iPad with the same damage now falling only 1.5 to 2 feet off a lap????

Sorry but I can not go that far. As far as the OP, I have troble it suffered that damage falling from waist height, it looks more like it was thrown at the wall.

No matter what, it does not matter what we think, it is what Apple will think when they see it and you tell them it was dropped from waist height! It is not a warranty issue so I would not bother taking it to Apple unless you have AppleCare +

25. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Not an iPad, but an iPhone 4. And the heavier iPad would have more weight landing on its corner. It was the craziest thing, just fell off her thigh and went "oops, dropped my pho-WHAT THE HELL?!?"