Hello new here and new to mac,question if i may

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sostoobad, Nov 5, 2011.

1. sostoobad macrumors regular

Hello, newbie here and new to Mac, just got my 1st one around 2 weeks ago, the Macbook air 13", really liking it. My question and I am sure it has been asked before is...I have a need for a 2nd computer at a different locale,am interested in possibly a Used Macbook pro....my needs are not great, web surf, download pics,do listings on ebay etc, and that is about it.

Any thoughts which Macbook pro from what yr etc, would be the best value ? and what should i look to pay etc
    Thanks,Ben

2. greganpace macrumors regular

If you don't need to do a any serious stuff, I have had a 2009 white Macbook with upgraded ram and it has lasted me fine for the two years. I am on it 4-5 hours a day and you won't have to pay the pro premium. Just my opinion though. my specs are 2.13 ghz processor, 4 gb ram, 160 gb hard drive. Like I said, I have had Final Cut and Logic Pro and they both operate at 100%. Upgraded to Lion about a month ago, and still absolutely no slowing or any other problems. You could probably pick one up for 600? That is about what I would sell mine for.

3. sostoobad thread starter macrumors regular

Hi, thanks for the response, a Macbook, I guess could work, do they have an sd slot for pics ?

4. greganpace macrumors regular

Not this one. I don't think the Pros do either though...? not sure, but that is what I am leaning towards. I have a USB adapter that I bought for like 5 dollars that I use.

5. Mersailios macrumors regular

The 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pros do have an SD Card slot (I believe that this was implemented sometime in 2009).

If you're just looking to perform some basic tasks then really, any of the MacBook series would get the job done quite nicely.

6. Silmarien macrumors member

If you want something for those simple tasks, why dont you save yourself some money and get a cheap Windows laptop. It will do the work, half the price.

7. greganpace macrumors regular

You can sleep on the floor, but it just doesn't feel as nice...

8. sostoobad thread starter macrumors regular

Well here is my dilemma I have a cheap PC that will work for what I want it to do, BUT, it still is a PC, and I am trying to get away from the hassles that I have found with PCs, again I have only owned a Mac product for 2 weeks, but I really like what it does, even though my needs are not great. The whole feel of it, the quick this and that, the email system etc. Maybe I am spoiled after diving in with the Macbook air. But the main thing that drives me bonkers with PCs, are the freaking viruses, the freezes, cont,alt delete etc...completely arcaic, and I am not a computer wiz by no means......sorry for the long post.

So my thoughts were a used but gone thru Mac at 4-600
    make sense ?

9. Lee Adama macrumors regular

Lee Adama

$500-$600 should be no problem for a white Macbook. I've been checking Craigslist recently and they vary from $350 to $550 depending on condition.

10. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

A Core 2 Duo MacBook with a 2GB of RAM will do you fine. As for the SD card - just buy a USB card reader for a few dollars.

11. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I think a bit differently. If it was me I would look for a MacBook Pro 2010 version. Either 13" or 15". That will last quite a bit longer and you can easily upgrade RAM and hard drive later down the line if you need.

Whatever you decide if at all possible have the seller meet you at an Apple store. Otherwise make sure there's no misunderstanding about what your getting if it has to be shipped.

Just my 2cents :)

12. sostoobad thread starter macrumors regular

13. sostoobad thread starter macrumors regular

Hi, just wanted to thank you for the advice and replies, I ended up going with a MacBook, new screen, all original equipment,will give that a go, should do what I want. And will be interesting to see how it compares with My MacBook Air.

I Dove into this Mac thing head 1st,glad I did,thanks

14. Mersailios macrumors regular

No worries, I hope that you enjoy your MacBook! :)