Hello...New To Mac here and need help, please

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by THEROC, Oct 20, 2008.

1. THEROC macrumors member

Hello
    After so many years with PC's I have now moved to an Imac for video editing etc...I have 2 questions and though they may seem simple to Mac old hands, to me its like starting all over so if you don't mind in answering these 2 question, i'd appreciate it:

1. How do I lock my Mac when i'm out. With the PC I just click right and go into setting etc...with Mac's I go???where?

2. I have installed Final Cut Studio 2 and would like to get all the shortcuts on the 'dashboard' or bottom 'Tray'. How do i do that. I tried dragging the icon from the applications folder and it just dumped it on th desktop which it could get very untidy if I do that for all other programs I install.:)

Thanks

THE ROC

2. Aranince macrumors 65816

I don't know of a way to lock your computer, I also use this feature on my PC and would like to know if there is a way to do this on a Mac.

As for putting the icon in your Dock, all you have to do is drag the icon to the dock and a space will clear and you can drop the icon there. If you want to remove an icon just drag the icon out of the dock on to your desktop and it will delete.

3. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

by "locking" do you mean, needing a username and password to continue working?

if so, you could use a screensaver and in system preferences:security, activate the 'require password to wake this computer from sleep or screen saver'.

good luck.

4. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Give that a go, that works for me well.

5. THEROC thread starter macrumors member