Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbg123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2014
VA
Hey folks,
So I'm here to stay, not just dabbling in Macs ideally. I was anti Apple a long time, then broke down and got the iPhone5 and I'm hooked. I just bought a used Mac mini and its running Mountain Lion, and I have an old 20" Apple flat panel to use with it, and a G5 I'm not sure what to do with that was a package deal.
My questions are is there a good book out there to help me through initial stuff, like a "for Dummies" or "101" type thing worth while? I've taken a few OS X courses through work and a Safari intro course to but basics will come with more time hands on I'm sure. Also, is the G5 worth keeping, it has no Airport card for Wifi so it's just a huge mass right now lol. I plan to use the Mac mini for school online starting in November, giving me some lead time to play with things and get stuff set up. Thanks for looking.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Hey folks,
So I'm here to stay, not just dabbling in Macs ideally. I was anti Apple a long time, then broke down and got the iPhone5 and I'm hooked. I just bought a used Mac mini and its running Mountain Lion, and I have an old 20" Apple flat panel to use with it, and a G5 I'm not sure what to do with that was a package deal.
My questions are is there a good book out there to help me through initial stuff, like a "for Dummies" or "101" type thing worth while? I've taken a few OS X courses through work and a Safari intro course to but basics will come with more time hands on I'm sure. Also, is the G5 worth keeping, it has no Airport card for Wifi so it's just a huge mass right now lol. I plan to use the Mac mini for school online starting in November, giving me some lead time to play with things and get stuff set up. Thanks for looking.

David Pogue (former tech columnist at the NY Times) has a series entitled Switching to the Mac - The Missing Manual. I have the version for Snow Leopard, but I think it gets updated for each version of OS X.

The attached .pdf file contains the Table of Contents so you can see what it’s about and how it’s laid out.

Attachments

• Switching to the Mac - The Missing Manual Snow Leopard Edition.pdf
    290.8 KB · Views: 82

jbg123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2014
VA
What about the G5? Is it worth adding an Airport card to and letting my son learn with it, or keeping as a backup at all? it's got the dual 1.8Ghz, 2GB SAD-RAM, 150GB HD?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Really up to you. I personally didn't go all in on Macs until they switched to Intel. However my wife loved her G5 iMac -- it was her favorite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.