Hello Steve? Anybody Home?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wirelessmacuser, Jun 10, 2010.

1. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

WWDC used to be a Mac developer's conference.

Hello Apple? Anybody Home?

Anyone over there in Cupertino remember the Mac?

This year there wasn't a single Mac-related poster, and Steve Jobs didn't bother to spend any time in his speech talking about the Mac OS.

People who say that Apple is focused on anything but the money, are...

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You nailed it. iPhones and iPads are bringing in the money.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Isn't the point of capitalism the accumulation of monetary wealth?

And Apple is not a strict and traditional desktop/mobile computer corporation anymore, they focus on mobile devices which are also computers anyway.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

No one is home, heck they dont even make a Macintosh anymore.:( crippled mini vs all in one's vs way overpriced proline. Macintosh is dead. They dont want to make a Macintosh for the masses anymore. They want everyone peering into little screens hunched over hoping to make a network connection:eek:

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Oh, please:rolleyes: The Macintosh line for the masses is the iMac. What do you want to do that you cannot do with the latest iMac? Apple's most recent MacBook Pro was released in April. It sounds like you want Apple's product line to have a median price of $50 with a new model to ogle every week.

7. Gloor macrumors 6502a

Mac Pro is long over due
    ACD 30" the same

WWDC should be also about these products as those products are used by developers etc.

8. wirelessmacuser thread starter macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Been reading long?

The point clearly stated, was the _fact_ that Steve Jobs ignored the developers & OS X during his keynote.

9. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

We already knew it would be primary focused on iOS. You were just late to the party.

WWDC refers to the "Worldwide Developers Conference." This one happened to focus on one particular platform, iOS. It was only a Mac conference because that was the only thing they had that you could develop for. That has obviously changed.

The Mac isn't going anywhere. It just doesn't have the spotlight this year.

The keynote isn't really for developers, that is what all the sessions are for. Although there were many things that involved them.

1. A new device to develop for (which has quite a few new features)
    2. Report on how much money the app store is bringing in
    3. More clarification on the approval process
    4. iAds, including figures on the amount of advertising dollars that have been spent before the service even launches.

But again, the developers aren't going to get anything of substance in the keynote, that isn't what it is for. They are there for the sessions and labs.

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

OK. Two questions:
    • What do you want to do that can't be done with at least one model of the Mac Pro?
    • What do you want to do that you can't do now the any current ACD?

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Really? There's better technology out now than what's in the Mac Pro and it's cheaper. Yet you think the Mac Pro is fair since it will do most every computer act, maybe not as fast as it could but it still does it.

Despicable.

12. MikhailT macrumors 601

The WWDC will return to the Mac next year with the focus on 10.7. There's nothing to focus on this year as Snow Leopard had some attention last year but nothing to show off really. If 10.7 is really a user feature packed release, it'll have all the attention next year.

13. wirelessmacuser thread starter macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Nice Try, but no cigar.

The only people "late to the party" are those of you who are either new to the Apple ecosystem, or uninformed.

Since you seem to take pleasure in speaking like the voice of experience, here it is from another source.
    http://www.maclife.com/article/feature/complete_history_wwdc_keynote

Once again I remind you the post was about the "Keynote". Hopefully you know what a keynote is.

Cheers... :)

14. Gloor macrumors 6502a

ACD could be LED for example but lets leave ACD aside.

Mac Pro -

1) value for money
    2) RENDERING!!!! - every core makes difference and every core cuts time. Take speed increase on top of that and you have what others might be after.

If I have scene that takes 4 days to render on 4 core Mac Pro then it will take 2 days to render on 8 core Mac Pro and so on. That is without taking better technology etc. into consideration (ie. 2008 xeon will be slower than 2010 xeon) so you get increase there too. As you can see, if I get my result faster then I can do more work in less time and so on.

It would be great if people like you who probably don't use these heavy proc. application would stop assuming that Mac Pro as its now is enough for today's need. It's not!!! I could elaborate things like render farms etc but I'm sure you got the point here.
    Every core counts and doubling cores will give you result in almost half the time. I think that is a HUGE difference for people who need it.

Thats why Mac Pro should be updated and thats why OP brought this issue up.

15. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

We all know what a keynote is. What many people here are saying is that focusing on just the keynote and ignoring the rest of the whole conference is to narrow of a scope.

16. DaveP macrumors 6502

DaveP

Put in another hard drive.

17. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

I honestly have to wonder if you can read properly.

We knew that *this* keynote would be primarily focused on iOS. I did not say "all the Keynotes have been about iOS and never about Macs" as that, would obviously, be false.

I didn't know I had to state the subject, the subject of the thread is, again, obvious. But apparently you need your hand held.

Just so we are clear, my post was about the keynote in addition to the conference more generally. And my point was that we have known for quite some time that the Mac would take a backseat. I think I remember reading a quote from Jobs on the matter. So, if you did not know this, you were indeed late to the party. All those expecting updates to Macs were just dreaming.

Some advice, work on your reading comprehension.

Maybe this will please you: http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/11/apple-considering-separate-wwdc-conferences-for-mac-and-ios/

18. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Do you know what they say when you assume. Well, it is only half right. When you assume, it doesn't make an a$$ of me.

To your point, you don't seem to have a clue how much faster your dream machine with your dream processor(s) would be. Rest assured, it will not knock days off your rendering time. That is why professionals build clusters to handle massive rendering tasks.

Get serious. Adding internal hard drives to iMacs is not something that the model was designed for, nor is it something that any serious buyer would expect to do with it. You have two options:
    • Add an external hard drive.
    • Buy a Mac Pro.
    It ain't that hard.

19. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Negative , what I want is a MiniMax or a consumer tower(Macintosh) to go with a HDTV. Also a new case design at least every 2 years on every machine.:apple: