Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
I was really interested in it, right up until the point I saw this, in "unwelcome technologies":

• "Natural" scrolling: It is the wrong way around. Made by people who don't understand scroll bars. Why would one want to turn the wheel downwards to go up?!

I think the people making this system are truly luddites, who don't understand things they don't like.

Natural scrolling (and pretty much all augmented manipulation / gesture capabilities from a touchpad) is probably the best change Apple has made to UI/UX in more than a decade, precisely because it frees the user from having to move their cursor to a scrollbar - the scrolling hardware is connected directly to the thing being scrolled, not to a UI control widget, that then controls the content. Your finger directly moves the thing being moved.

Someone who can't assimilate that simple UX construct, has no business being exposed to chewable food, or cutlery sharper than a wooden spoon, let alone directing the UX of an operating system.

Also, not providing a framework for the user to choose, and set their preference for scrolling direction, makes them just as controlling, and anti-user hostile as Apple, so the hypocrisy is kindof off the scale.

Last edited:
Reactions: Analog Kid

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2020
Yes..there were things in the brief that I wondered about too. But thought Id give it a go. Tried it from a usb stick on my late 2009 iMac..the BSD image comes up on screen ..but then it repetitively reboots at that point. So going to try again tomorrow.
FreeBSD has versions for intel, PPC and raspberry pi, but Ive heard it can be a bit tricky to install. Thought Id see if this was an easy install. Id like to try it on a DVD but the dvd drives on both my iMacs reject every DVD or CD. Have to do some sorting and see if I can get them working.

Reactions: mattspace

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Yes..there were things in the brief that I wondered about too. But thought Id give it a go. Tried it from a usb stick on my late 2009 iMac..the BSD image comes up on screen ..but then it repetitively reboots at that point. So going to try again tomorrow.
FreeBSD has versions for intel, PPC and raspberry pi, but Ive heard it can be a bit tricky to install. Thought Id see if this was an easy install. Id like to try it on a DVD but the dvd drives on both my iMacs reject every DVD or CD. Have to do some sorting and see if I can get them working.

Really curious to hear how it comes along. I've been keeping an eye on Elementary Linux for a while, but I don't think I can get aboard with the idea of not having a centralised hierarchical menuing system.

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2020
I seemed to have a DE issue with all the distributions Id been trying on both my iMacs: On boot up Id get four desktops in a two by two formation...too small to work the menus to try and fix it. But with antiX linux, there was a pop up menu during the boot up process where I could prevent that happening.
I still have a need for OSX though..Ive an eyetv hybrid usb tv tuner on both iMacs.

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2020
Reactions: bsdhw
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.