Helmet Camera Advice for Road Biking

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by CMelton, Mar 10, 2011.

1. CMelton macrumors regular

CMelton

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone could give me some adive on cameras for my helmet.

I saw an article on the BBC website recently about cyclists being subjected to road rage or forced off the road, and i agree we often are. One solution was to use a small helmet camera to have a visual record of what happens on the road as apparently too often insurance companies don't believe cyclists.

After having a very near miss last night I am a bit worried myself and I'm thinking of a helmet camera.

It should be:

Cheapish (£75 - £100) - not a lot I know but I'm a student.
    SD card
    Doesn't need to be HD, just enough to read number plates.

Any ideas? Would be much appreciated.

2. bluap84 macrumors 6502

3. lee8668 macrumors newbie

The Drift X170 is a good camera and is great value, as it is not too expensive. You also get a lot for your money as it has a built in screen, which most other helmet cameras don't have. There's a useful review of this particular model and many others at http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/reviews_of_helmet_cameras

4. secondhandloser macrumors member

5. bluap84 macrumors 6502

i agree but they arent cheap. And if your just going to be using it to catch bad drivers...gopro seems over kill

but your right they are AMAAAAAAAAAAAAZING!! i love mine :eek::eek::eek:

6. hwojtek macrumors 65816

hwojtek

+1 for GoPro. I use a couple of them for car racing footage, but have been fitting them to virtually anything that moves. Great quality.

7. secondhandloser macrumors member

I don't know about elsewhere, but you can get a standard def gopro for like $50 or so now. Should be manageable on just about any budget.

And it's not like the $230-ish street price on the HD models is a bank-buster. I've spent much more than that on just a waterproof case before...

8. CMelton thread starter macrumors regular

CMelton

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I think I'm going to try and save up a little bit more and see if i can get a GoPro of some description.

Do you know if it possible to wipe the memory card on the camera itself? or does it have to be done on a computer?

Its not that I go out riding to catch bad drivers, its just for peace of mind in case something bad happens, you never know, and i see it as a form of insurance.

9. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

On YouTube I am subscribed to a few cyclists. One great example of what can be achieved with a GoPro HD and iMovie is Gaz545, a cyclist in London.

10. iPold999 macrumors newbie

I use a camera called Muvi. Stick it in ebay comes up at around £40.

11. Wolf Kelsey macrumors newbie

Wolf Kelsey

As a cyclist without a helmet increases your risk of accident or injury.Helmet camera are also best way to keep safety.For cheap prizing google is your best answer.

12. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Yes, you can wipe the memory card within the go pro itself.

As to go pro being the best, well... depends on your criteria. They're good, but so are the current Drift cameras, and if you're not chasing super high quality and cost is a factor plenty of other cheaper options will probably do the job.

I use Go Pro Hero 3 black and white on my motorcycle for track day footage, but given your criteria they may be overkill.