Helmet Camera Info

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by wbennett01, Nov 11, 2008.

1. wbennett01 macrumors newbie

I was wondering if anyone had any information on using and buying a helmet style camera. I would like to do some filming of the outdoor activities that I do like skiing, climbing, and biking. I have found a few products on the internet that sound like they will do what I want but it is very difficult to find reviews of the products. Another issue is I am using a Canon HV20 camera and take HD video. So I would like to have a helmet camera that took HD video or would hook up to my HV20 to take HD. It would like crazy to have good quality video follow up with ok video from the helmet camera. All your help is appreciated.

2. jammiefreerider macrumors regular

I'm going to get the VIO POV.01 headcam. www.vio-pov.com Its £550 and the best I've seen. Unfortunately, its all auto everything so no adjustments can be made to white balance/focus/zoom etc. It has a wireless remote control which is the most useful thing about it for sure. Theres a few videos on the site so you can see what its capable of.

Its not HD its 720 x 480. It would be unrealistic to upscale it to 1080 so I would have a main shot of general view of someone skiing/biking then have an inset box with the helmet cam view.

Other option would be to attach your HV20 to your helmet. The cheap way would be put a square thick block of foam between the right side of your helmet and the camera. Then duck tape the hell out of it. I would also put a counter weight on the left side of the helmet to keep you head from falling off :)

3. Squelch macrumors member

Here is a solution that might work, though I'm not sure about how much you can modify a helmet smaller than a motorcycle helmet:

High Definition Camcorder Helmet Mount

I was looking for the same type of thing for my motorcycle, but I am not willing to drill into and modify the one thing that might protect me from brain damage or death in an accident. So I am still looking for alternatives. In the meantime I bought a POV.1, which should arrive today.

I mounted my Canon HF100 on the handlebars of both of my motorcycles, and the vibrations were bad enough that the video was unwatchable. I'm thinking of getting some weight or something to add to the camera mount arm, which might help dampen the vibration. I think part of the problem is that the camera is so light, it vibrates too easily.

4. miiles macrumors regular

You might want to check this out it is a link to a road bike forum, but I figure a road bike helmet is vaguely similar to a climbing helmet.

5. macmasher macrumors newbie

Helmet Cam V 2.0

I got the adrenaline systems helmet cam v 2.0. It comes with a variety of mounts. The resolution is great and comes with integrated Mike for stereo sound. I also got their DVR 200 which is super light weight and takes good footage on SD cards.
    Check out their stuff at:

http://helmetcamera.tv/product_info.php?cPath=1_28_138&products_id=305

The DVR 200 is been discounted and they seem to have the best price on this handheld:

http://helmetcamera.tv/product_info.php?cPath=22_129_160&products_id=304

you can also get a Cam/DVR combo which works out cheaper

http://helmetcamera.tv/product_info.php?products_id=309

[​IMG]