HELP! 1 quick question with buying an iPhone!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vinay427, Oct 28, 2008.

1. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Hi. This is my first post here. I am thirteen years old and have been saving up for the iPhone for the last 1 to 2 years. I have a question about the App Store. My dad has an iPod Touch and if he's not connected to Wi-Fi the App Store say "You must be connected to a Wi-Fi network." or something like that. I want to know if you can access the App Store over EDGE and 3G if in a car or other place without Wi-Fi. Also, I wasn't sure because the iTunes store is [I think] called the iTunes Wi-Fi Store so that implies it can only be used over Wi-Fi. As I said before, I have been saving up the $200 for the last 2 years. I probably wouldn't have got the iPhone if the price was still like $600, but anyway. . . PLEASE HELP!!!

vinay427

2. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Yes, you can download apps over the 3G network. The reason it is saying that on your dad's iPod is the iPod only has wifi to connect to the internet. The iPhone can use 3G, Edge, or wifi.

3. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

you know that $200 is only the cost of the device, and that once you buy it you're going to be on the hook for another $60/$70 per month for the service.

4. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

The help you need is better direction in life.

It's really a lot of work to cut quote.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't know if it's changed or not, but as of the last I heard, the limitation is that the iPhone will only download apps smaller than 10MB (most of them, but not, say, Spore or some of the other commercial games) over data services (either EDGE or 3G).

And please do tell me, echoing the thoughts of the others, that you didn't make a deal with your dad that you'd pay $200 for the phone and then he'd pay $100/mo for the service?

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

And what if he did? So what?

Please don't tell me you ate chicken for dinner last night!

How is any of this relevant?

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hey now, my post did offer some useful information alongside the judgmental paternalism. :D

8. vinay427 thread starter macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Ok, well thanks imaketouchtheme for your reply and the [first part of] mkrishnan's reply. And yes, I know that there is a monthly service fee and no, I didn't make a deal with my dad.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

10. franzmueller macrumors regular

In the case that you need wifi to download apps and you don´t have one at your home , wait until you find a place with free wifi to do it like a coffee shop , school , friends house etc

No big deal ....

I think you NEED wifi to download music from the itunes store .

11. vinay427 thread starter macrumors 6502a

vinay427

12. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I don't pay for my service. Granted, I'm not 13, but have not yet started a career. My mom pays my service on a family plan of which I'm the leading line, along with my old first gen. which is now her iPhone. Having two iPhone's on that plan certainly helps the price! (around $100/mon) For the both of us. I also bought BOTH phones with my own $$ (First gen = $600; 3G = $300). She also gets a 25% discount off our ATT bill, so it's not bad at all - I would not have an iPhone if it were not for the discount. I have made agreements with my mother to earn the monthly charge and that's the way it is. To accommodate the additional $10 3G service a month I gave her the first gen iPhone that was worth $400+ instead of selling it. She also saved money by not having to pay her BlackBerry Unlimited Plan, not only with cheaper iPhone data plans, but having two iPhone's saves money. (as i said before...)

- The App Store does not require any type of special connection. It works with (3G, EDGE and Wi-Fi)
    - Whereas, The iTunes store (Music only) is Wi-Fi requiring.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No problem. What you do with your money is your business unless you bring it up! ;) Anyways, good luck.

EDIT: Oh, PS, AFAIK at present for the iTunes store -- the music / video part -- you are not able to download anything on cellular data regardless of how small it is. :( So, unless they changed it, you can download a 10MB app on EDGE or 3G but you cannot download a 4MB song.

14. vinay427 thread starter macrumors 6502a

vinay427

also. . .

also, how does the pricing work with 1 iphone 3g and two or three other normal att phones on a family plan? do u add a certain amount of monthly payment to the ordinary plan if the phone is an iphone, not a normal att phone? Also, the other phones don't have a data plan. So basically, how much money do u add to the monthly payment on a familytalk with an iphone?

15. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I can speak from personal experience.
    The other lines work the same. Primary 2 lines, based on whatever plan you have somewhere around $80/mon. The additional regular lines = +$10 for each month.
    For an iPhone 3G = +$40/mon.

iPhone 3G Family line:
    iPhone on a line charge = $10/mon
    +
    iPhone Unlimited Data = $30/mon

Total = $40/mon

16. vinay427 thread starter macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Ok. Thanks a lot Auzburner. That was EXTREMELY clear.

17. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I had to do this a couple times when the 3G came out. Tons of confusion. Not only with other people on the forum's, but my mom.