Help! 10.4.11 update crashed and now cant run osx :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jackdanny, Nov 17, 2007.

1. jackdanny macrumors newbie

Please help guys!

I was running the update to 10.4.11 from .10 and it crashed on me. I rebooted but now I can't get into osx anymore. I just get the white screen with the Apple logo and the spinning clock cursor thing..and it keeps spinning, and spining etc

I'm home for the weekend so I've left my install discs back at my flat, so does anyone know a way i can boot into osx without them? I've tried Shift+booting to try and get into Safe Mode but no luck. It's no biggy as I'll be back tomorrow so I can use them if I have to. How do I reinstall osx without losing any data if thats what it takes?

My Boot Camp is still working though. Hurry for Windows eh? lol

Many thanks! :)

2. polycat33 macrumors 6502

Sounds like you need your install disks, so you'll have to wait until you get back to them.

3. taff007 macrumors newbie

I had the same problem and had to start from scratch. When you reinstall you get the option to 'Archive & Install', which I believe copies and replaces your files as they were before the crash (so the 'Apples never crash theory isn't true). This does need a certain amount of free disk space, which unfortunately I didn't have so I had to rely on my backups. On the positive side my system does seem significantly quicker since the reinstall.

4. nikiski macrumors regular

If I remember correctly, when I updated my MacBook Pro from 10.4.9 to 10.4.10, my machine rebooted after the Apple Logo + spinning wheel screen. It took a little while (1-2 minutes), and then after it rebooted itself again the update was completed. You might have interrupted the upgrade process, I'm afraid.

Of course, if someone could confirm it that would be great.

5. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

"I was running the update to 10.4.11 from .10 and it crashed on me. I rebooted but now I can't get into osx anymore. I just get the white screen with the Apple logo and the spinning clock cursor thing..and it keeps spinning, and spining etc"

that's the exact same thing that happened to me, i had to pull the harddrive and put the old one in to even to boot into osx.
    what kind of ***** is this? software updates are supposed to make things more stable....
    i let it sit and spin for like 10 minutes.

hopefully the archive and install thing will work for me.

6. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

ok, so the reinstall with archive worked, so that's cool at least...

does anyone know if i can update to 10.4.10 again without having to go up to 11 (ala nigel tuffnel)?

7. macsat macrumors newbie

How to reinstall?

Hi

I had the same issue with upgrading to 10.4.11 - and I have mine stuck on the Apple + Spinning Wheel.

How do I now reinstall using the original DVD/CD?

There is a DVD in my drive, which I cant seem to eject - so how should I put in my install disk?

.....is there really no other option but to do a full reinstall?

8. jackdanny thread starter macrumors newbie

tried holding down the trackpad button as you boot up? that should eject the dvd

9. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

i also had a dvd in the drive, i just pushed the eject button right after start up and it ejected like normal.

"....is there really no other option but to do a full reinstall?"

it's the only thing i could figure out. luckily, it wasn't actually that big of a deal. as long as you have enough enough harddrive space to do the archive and reinstall.

10. isleofjib macrumors regular

it does sound like you updated the install of the update. it can take a long time for the update to complete so be patient. if it's spinning, it's working so let it work. update, restart and then go get a cup of tea, coffee or a beer and relax and let it do its thing. i know when i was updating i started to wonder if something had gone wrong but i just left it alone and after a bit, it completed. if it's screwed, you'll have to archive+install and then reupdate. but then you still have to follow the advice above and be patient. ;)

11. macsat macrumors newbie

Reinstall dosnt give me option to save....

Hi

As far as I can see I dont get the option to save my stuff when doing a reinstall.

When the installer reaches the place where I have to choose which drive to install to, and I click the only drive I have, it tells me that I need to change something in "options" before install can proceed.

Then when I click "options", I am met with a message that the drive needs to be reformattet using journaling filesystem, and that everything will be lost.

Since I dont want to loose everything, I havent dared to continue. Will I get the option to save stuff at a later stage than this, or cant I save the stuff for some reason?

Could that reason be lack of free space on drive? I have almost no free space. If this is the reason, I guess I can delete some stuff like DVD Disc images from the drive using the console from the installer.....I will try this.

I will really appriciate some help here anyway :)

macsat

12. isleofjib macrumors regular

when you get to the point of chosing the drive, on the bottom left there should be an options button (it might be customize-but something to that effect). click that and you should get the options to choose the type of install: upgrade, archive and install, or erase and install. choose archive and install, be patient and let it completely finish even after the initial reboot. then install the updates and again be very patient especially on reboot-it takes a while to complete the install of the update after it reboots. then you should be good to go. good luck.

13. macsat macrumors newbie

The reason I wasnt given the option to save settings was definitely due to lack of free space. After freeing some Gigs using the console from the install DVD I was given that option and reinstall went smooth.

So did the upgrade the second time around.....I am now the happy owner of one Macbook Pro running 10.4.11 ....now I just have to decide when to go Leopard :)

14. isleofjib macrumors regular

glad you got that fixed. i'd recommend soon for leopard! :)