HELP!! 10.5.2 Killed my Time Machine!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ~J~, Feb 11, 2008.

1. ~J~ macrumors 6502

It gets stuck at "preparing" and just sits there will the scrolling bar for hours (literally). Other than that, I am quite happy with the update. Any help with this??

2. DoreanGrae macrumors regular

I have this problem as well. I thought it was because I used the workaround for getting TM to work with Airport disks, but apparently not. Here's the thread I started on it:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=432357

Two other people in there have this problem as well. Something's up.

3. B3CK24 macrumors newbie

its works on mine...said "preparing" forever, let it do its thing... it will work

4. DA-Steve macrumors regular

trying for the third time now.. doesnt look good :confused:

5. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

It's just taken a while for me to go past preparing aswell, on 10.5.1. It backed up eventually.

6. eliotw macrumors member

10.5.2 causes TM to rescan prior backups...

Don't fret, TM will take a long time to complete the first time run after updating to 10.5.2.

If you look in the "Console" app 'console messages', when TM tries to backup the first time, you'll see a couple messages like:

...backupd 306 user Error Event store UUIDs don't match for volume: E's Powerbook HD
    ...backupd 306 user Error Forcing deep traversal on source: "E's Powerbook HD"...

I've seen this on both my PB and MBP that I updated. I presume this means some unique ID (UUID) has changed with 10.5.2. And TM doesn't just look through your current hard drive, it also needs to look through all the old backups on the TM disk. So if that disk isn't locally attached, it might take a while.

On my PM G4 the backup ran for a little less than 2 hours and nearly 1 hour was the 'preparing' stage as it read through the old backups. It backed up about 1.5GB of data.

So you may want to give TM plenty of time to do that 'deep traversal' before giving up on it...

Good luck,
    E

7. DA-Steve macrumors regular

after about an hour i get this error

"Unable to complete backup. An error occurred while copying files to the backup volume."

thats with nothing running on the comp :(

8. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I am getting this now too. Was getting it all yesterday and now today. When I upgraded to 10.5.2 it worked fine but now it's borked. Manually running it doesn't help either.

At least I have SuperDuper running daily ;)

9. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Looks like I might have to run disk utility on my backup drive. From system.log (viewable in Console.app):

Edit: sigh... Disk Utility fails immediately trying to Verify Disk:

I will try using Disk Utility from the startup disk later.

10. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Well I think my HD died. 500GB only a month or so old :(

Don't want to spend $99 on DiskWarrior when I could spend another ~$130 and get a new HD.

Oh well. That's why I have a 2nd backup drive being used with SuperDuper :)

11. KerryC macrumors newbie

I had exactly this problem and posted about it in another thread.

I have an Intel iMac with a 500GB internal disk and a WD 1TB My Book Studio external disk for Time Machine backups.

I could open the external drive and see all the previous backups and drag files across to it. but Time Machine kept failing (spent about 1/2 hour saying Preparing, then exiting with an error message

Unable to complete backup. An error occurred while copying files to the backup volume." )

I started to type up an email to Apple Support, and in doing so, realised that the used space on my internal disk was just a bit greater than the free space on the external disk.

So I deleted a number of large files that I had already backed up (and didn't really need anymore anyway). When the used space dropped, Time Machine started backing up.

The first backup after the upgrade seems to be nearly the whole disk (my backup was 212 GB which isn't the whole size of the used part of my internal disk, but which is much, much more than a delta (I had added about 8GB of files plus the 10.5.2 update since the last backup).

So try deleting (or backing up first, perhaps to DVD, then deleting) until the free space on the external drive is greater than the used space on the internal drive and try Time Machine again.

Kerry