Help! 10.9.2 Broke Screen and File Sharing!

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Daremo, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

Hey guys. I need the Obi-Wan of Mac gurus to help with this one. This has frustrated me to no end. So here's my issue, and I can't seem to find a solution so my hope is someone here knows what to do!

I have several Macs in the house, and I run my media server on a Unibody Mac Mini. My Drobo is connected to it holding my media files and photos and such. I access it remotely daily. Since updating to 10.9.2 I can no longer file share, screen share, or even connect to the Mac Mini. I CAN however see the Mini in my finder, on the left side, but can't connect to it.

I searched all over, and found SOME solutions from people. Turning off Sharing, rebooting, and then turing it back work for some.

The ONLY solution I got to work was running ONYX and cleaning out the preferences for sharing, and then it did work... For about 24 hours, and then the same connection error happens. Since, I've tried all the tips and running ONYX again, and now I can't get it to connect at all anymore.

This will cause me to pull my hair out and go bald, and with my metal hair down my back, I don't want to go bald.

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi! You're my only hope!

2. Daremo thread starter macrumors 68000

Daremo

Back to answer my own question, in case anyone has this issue. Turns out, it WASN'T my server Mac, it was the client, my Retina MacBook Pro.

I needed to UNINSTALL something called SIMBL. It's a third party "Helper" and all it helped way my headaches.

From the /Library folder, delete these (some may be missing).

Application Support/SIMBL
    InputManagers/SIMBL
    LaunchAgents/net.culater.SIMBL.Agent.plist
    ScriptingAdditions/SIMBL.osax

And, that solved my issue. HUGE thanks to Linc Davis on the Apple Support forums for figuring this out.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

That's why I avoid third party OS helpers, modifiers & makeovers. There's almost always another way.