Help - 13" MBP or 11" Air

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sachinwalia, Jan 13, 2011.

1. sachinwalia macrumors member

I've sold my iPad after keeping it for almost 6 months. reason being not able to use enough as well as not able to use it properly for writing. I already have an MBP 15" but want to buy a much smaller notebook for carrying around. I like 11" MBA but also want to know people's opinion about portability and lightness of 13" MBP. Please share your opinion. My usage of portable computer is for writing, reading pdf and maybe photo editing but not video editing for which I use my Mac Pro.

I'll appreciate any suggestions.

2. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    13" - because size does matter :D

3. nfable macrumors regular

nfable

Go with the Air; since you have a beast at home (Mac Pro) you can have a pixie in your pack.

nf

4. MacSignal macrumors regular

The 13 is my favorite of the two choices. It is small and light enough, that I didn't find any benefit in the 11 -- other than lower price. For writing, I think you want the 13 for its full sized keyboard. I was not liking the smaller keyboard on the 11 when I did an hands-on evaluation at a store.

5. brendu macrumors 68020

I disagree with the posts that 13" is the better choice for you. Since you already have a 15" macbook pro and a mac pro I would say the 11" air makes the most sense. If I were in your shoes thats exactly what I would get. Give it 4GB ram though and it will be great. I have the 13 inch mbp and it is portable and its not too heavy but why add on the extra weight when your main use for this device is non cpu intensive work on the go. Keep it small and light. And I found the keyboard on the 11 inch is fine. I have been considering selling my 13"mbp for the 11" air. It is a great little mac.

P.S. your sig says you have a macbook also. Couldnt you just use that? It might be older but for the light usage it would get, im sure its fine.

6. Dizzler macrumors regular

From the Apple spec page: the 13" MBP is approximately 2x heavier than the 11" MBA. They do have different features so you would have to decide what is important.

7. thespaniard macrumors newbie

11 mba

I've been using one of these for a few weeks. Much better than the original MBA - this is silent, doesnt get hot and is surprisingly nippy. Just about the perfect laptop - highly recommended.

8. matperk macrumors 6502

The 11" MBA would definitely be something you would enjoy. If you don't need the added bulk of a CD drive, don't buy it! I have a Mac Pro and an 11" Air and love the combination. No complaints at all.

9. chrismacguy, Jan 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2011

chrismacguy macrumors 68000

I bet it would get used. I have in my Laptop Pile: PowerBook 1400c/166 (writing and coding), iBook G3 Clamshell (Internet Downstairs and eMail), PowerBook G4 (Photography Laptop) and a White MacBook (carry everywhere and do stuff on)... oh and a Mac Pro under my desk for serious work.

To the OP: Get a MBA, but keep your MBP for the times you need to be portable with a disk drive.

10. sachinwalia thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys for all the good suggestions. after reading all your inputs I am inclining towards 11" MBA. As someone also pointed that 15" MBP will not get used and I kind of agree with that. It might be a good idea in that case to let it go and use MacPro for any serious work. It definitely doesn't makes any sense to keep two laptops when I am only going to use one.

11. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

How about selling the 15" and getting a 13" MBA so you have both portability and power with the MP. I'm a bit biased because the 11" is just not enough space for me but the weight of the Air can be really nice.

12. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

They have the same size keyboards. The only difference is that on the 11" the Function keys are thinner. Other than that, there is no sacrifice on the keyboard, which is why I think it's better than the netbooks that are out there. I have tried typing on those and it is so frustrating to see a small shift key on the right side.

13. deadlystriker macrumors regular

deadlystriker