Help 15" 2007 Mac Book Pro wont switch on

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pados, Dec 23, 2013.

1. pados macrumors newbie

Hi

I've been seaching internet these last few days to fix mac book pro I bought off ebay too fix and use for myself.

Here is problem:- When I press power button, it sounds like its about too start up, screen is blank, no chime, can hear fans as normal but nothing

I have tried the following:-

Replaced screen
    Took ram out, tried switching on without, put new ram in, tried different slots
    changed battery
    held power button down for 10 seconds
    changed hard drive
    changed keyboard (neither keyboard light up)
    plugged into external screen
    There's always dim light on front need opening latch
    Tried switching brightness up too
    tried ejecting cd drive although there's nothing in it, unplugged it too

I havent tried command option p r but will do this tonight.

If this fails is there anything else it could be except dead logic board or nvidia? as I am running out of options.

15" 2007 Mac Book Pro think its 2.5Ghz, 4 gig ram

Thanks

2. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Hard to say, but I will say that that's exactly what mine did when the GPU/logic board died. :(

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

None of those would work because its a dead logic board.

4. pados thread starter macrumors newbie

5. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

yup unless you decide to replace it on your own or done by Apple.
    Not to mention logic board is expensive.

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

well you can use if for parts. This seems to be a model with 8600M GT graphics, and what you describe sounds exactly like the dead GPU issue that these models are plagued with.

7. pados thread starter macrumors newbie

I have few spare mac book pro's which I have tried using their parts too see if I could get this working.

Is this problem where I can switch mac book on and leave in blanket to over heat it? or put in oven? (I wouldnt be happy about doing this though)

Thanks

8. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

It very well could be the 8600m. I've got a Mid 2007 myself that I got off Amazon, so far I've been lucky with it. I opened it up shortly after I got it, removed the logic board, and put some new Arctic Silver on it to help keep the thing cool. But when it does die, it seems like baking it does work. Though if you have a better way of reflowing it (heat gun, actual reflow station etc.) go for it. Otherwise, baking it is worth a try.

An article and success stories in the comments here: http://russell.heistuman.com/2010/04/27/cooking-the-books-or-baking-my-macbook-pro-logic-board/

9. fs454 macrumors 65816

Yeah, I don't think I would try this - the success rate is a bit crappier than how it works for the Xbox 360 issue. You've got the ill-fated 8600M GPU and this is exactly what happens when it fails. Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done to fix it other than making an appointment at an Apple Store and pleading your case. They had this covered for 3 years regardless of AppleCare back when the laptops were current and I had a replacement done through them which waived a ~$900 repair.

I wouldn't recommend doing the repair if you can't get them to do it out of goodwill, it's a much better investment to grab a newer MacBook, none of which have any known GPU issues like that one had. Heck, I still have mine in the basement with a freshly replaced logic board - I ditched it shortly after. I guess I'd sell the parts, if needed.

10. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

The heating repair only works for a little while.
    It will fail on you again.
    It use to do that on the old iBook G4.

11. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I had one like yours off eBay and I took it to Apple store for testing and they found error code even thought the logic board still running fine and GPU is working fine but they decided to replace new logic board at no extra charge. I guess I am the lucky one. :apple: