[HELP] 15" or 17" Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iMacrumors, Feb 15, 2011.

1. iMacrumors macrumors member

Hi there,

I am going to get a new Macbook Pro in this next refresh, for sure. Now the question I need help answering is wheather or not to go with a 15" or 17" model. Let's put price aside, as most specs could be nearly identical.

I am going to University in the Fall.. and I have always been a sucker for big screens.

I would bring it to campus sometimes, but not all the time as I think it would be more of a distraction than a help. This will be my main computer.

I also DJ on the side, so the 17" is helpful in that sense.

The real question: Is how much of a weight difference is the 17" compared to the 15"... and is that laptop just too huge to bring around.. the 15" being more practical..

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

2. xdbuix macrumors 6502

apparently the weight ratio for the update could be a huge drop. I read some rumors saying the 13 is at 3 and half lbs, the 15 is at 4 and a half, and the 17 is 5 and half, i believe? The weight issue shouldn't be a problem for this refresh, but rather the size. If you looking at 17 and the size is fine, i suggest 17. If not, stick with the 15.

3. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

You will find that seats are close together and won't have much room. Weight is also a factor. I would go with 15 for portability if not even smaller.

4. iMacrumors thread starter macrumors member

I don't think weight will be too much of a factor (thanks to last poster).. but I'm thinking the same as you ThaDoggg.. I know its not practical whatsoever to lug around a 17" Macbook Pro to Uni.

I just don't know how much I would bring it there.. I mean damn 17" is big haha

5. kkashi macrumors newbie

MBP 17".
    If you want the mobility then you'd better choose a MBA 13

6. Mr.valve macrumors newbie

13 inch very good , but not for designer.

Recommend : Macbook Air

7. whitedragon101 macrumors 6502a

I have the 15" and have had it since Nov 2008. I wish I had bought the 17". The 15" is not a desktop replacement, the 17" is.

If you use the 13" or 15" you will need an external monitor to use it as a desktop. You don't with the 17". I don't have an external monitor as I work from where-ever I am.

Get a decent bag and you will hardly notice the weight difference. Go into an apple store and close a 15" and 17", there is only a tiny difference in size and weight. Open them and the 17" gives you much more screen real estate.

(PS
    be very careful choosing between glossy / matte. I looked at a video on matte and thought it looked great. Then I compared a text document on both screens and the diffuser on the matte makes it blurry.)

8. iMacrumors thread starter macrumors member

Thank you everyone for your help thus far. Since I won't bring the thing around too much.. it seems 17" is not a bad idea.

This is my main computer so like whitedragon said, I won't have to buy an external moniter. Yes, I do need to decide which screen to choose however. I was thinking of going with glossy.. but idk haha

9. vnle macrumors 6502

I'm in University as well and I have a 17 inch mbp. I agree with some people here that it's a little too big to lug around (most) lecture halls since the desks are tiny and close together. The weight is not a factor as it is relatively light. As long as you have a good bag, transporting it should be fine. But unlike the OP, being a CS major, I have to bring my mbp to school everyday. I find the screen size a plus because I always have many windows open even in lecture. In our CS lecture halls, we have huge tables so the bigger size is a non-issue here. All in all, it comes down to size and not weight. I only find the 17" an inconvenience sitting at small desks since it's footprint is bigger then the desk's but otherwise, it's kinda awesome at Uni. :)

10. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

17"

If you want a large screen go for the 17". When closed it's not that much bigger than the 15".

Also wait a couple weeks to see that Apple does. I would not buy a MBP right now.

11. iMacrumors thread starter macrumors member

Yes.. I guess the size difference isn't too terribly much. Ohh, I am sure planning on waiting for these next weeks! thanks.

12. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

get a 17".

its not as big as people make it out too be.