Help! 1st gen iphone still running on verson 1.0.2, need update!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jabz, Oct 18, 2008.

1. jabz macrumors newbie

Hey everyone!
    I really need some help. I know absolutely nothing about jailbreaking and upgrading. I've recently been given a first generation iphone and its running on version 1.0.2. I want to be able to sup it up to be able to get applications and be updated. I have no idea how????
    I was told to not update it on itunes or it will get locked, and I will be more or less screwed.
    Any help would be much appreciated!
    Thank you!!!

2. amemoryoncelost macrumors 6502

When you say to not update it because it will get locked. Is this phone currently unlocked or jailbroken? I think it will be safe to do a full restore up to the current firmware, then use quickpwn to jailbreak. We need to know a little more about the history and future of this phone. Hopefully someone will chime in and back me up on the restore and quickpwn...

3. jabz thread starter macrumors newbie

I suppose it is unlocked...to unlock a phone means that I am able to use any service provider right? Right now I can use it with my old sim card, and the phone works, but I can't use much else. and don't have any applications.

Ok here is the history...
    I live in Canada, the iphone was bought from the UK. In Canada I think the only service provider is Rogers. I don't even think they allow the first generation iphones, I believe it's just 3g. Not too sure though. As a matter of fact I'm not sure what much of it means.
    Basically I need to be able to connect to the internet from my phone anywhere, which I can't do unless I am at home, or where there is wifi. I also would like to be able to download apps. Right now, I've got nothing on it. Seems like a waste to have an iphone and not take advantage of what it can do.

About not updating through itunes, I'm not sure why but I was told by the person who gave it to me that if I upgrade it will lock.

Sorry, I know I'm all over the place and not making much sense, but ask me the questions you need to know and I'll try my best to respond. It would be really great if you all could help me figure this out!

4. jabz thread starter macrumors newbie

5. speedracer3000 macrumors 6502

1) Do you currently have any critical data on the phone? Such as an important text, email, or contact etc? If so, make sure you back up the data somehow. If not, skip this step.

2) connect the phone to iTunes and do a full restore/update to the latest 2.1 firmware. At this point, your phone is locked, but it's ok.

3) download/run a software program called Quickpwn on Windows (Quickpwn on Mac does not actually unlock the phone).

Your phone will be unlocked again and up to date on the firmware. You will have access to the App Store to download all the cool apps you want.

Do a search on this forum, google, or youtube for the details on how to do the steps mentioned.

Other wise, if you are not comfortable doing this, check craigslist, there must be someone local to you that can do this for you for about $20-$30. There are plenty of ads on craigslist for iphone unlocking service.

6. jabz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!
    Will I lose all my phone numbers?
    If my phone is locked how do I download quickpn? Am I suppose to do that on my pc? or on my phone?