Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m3gau

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2007
What Macs would you suggest are suitable for using the new Final Cut Studio with.

I have a few otehr questions:
1) Do Macs have Ethernet Ports or if not normally can youget them for it?
2) Is there any chance i could run a Mac through a windows or other proxy server
3)Most Apple stuff seems to use DVI monitors i already have two VGA Monitors is there any chance i could use them or would i have to buy new screens as well.

Any other information you think may be useful would be gratefully accepted.
Cheers

polevault139

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2006
Illinois
1) Yes Macs have ethernet ports
2) Why not.
3) There are some DVI to VGA adapters you could use

An iMac or Mac Pro would be good depending on your budget. If you give us more information on how much editing you will be doing I'm sure we could give you a better reccomendation

m3gau

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2007
update

Well i plan on doing Film production at uni next year so that would be quite alot at the moment i make short 5 minute films although i have made some longer ones anything up to half an hour.
Where would you get hold of a converter for VGA to DVI or vice versa and how much would it cost me?
What are the chances of me having issues with Uni networks if i'm using a Mac or should it not make any difference?

Thanks for all the help

polevault139

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2006
Illinois
Well i plan on doing Film production at uni next year so that would be quite alot at the moment i make short 5 minute films although i have made some longer ones anything up to half an hour.
Where would you get hold of a converter for VGA to DVI or vice versa and how much would it cost me?
What are the chances of me having issues with Uni networks if i'm using a Mac or should it not make any difference?

Thanks for all the help
Heres the link for the adapter at the apple store.
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore/?productLearnMore=M8754G/A

There wont be a problem connecting to a network at the uni.

As for a computer are you looking for it to be portable or do you just need a desktop? If you want mobile it seems that your only choice would be a MBP

m3gau

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2007
more

I'm really looking for a desktop i think because its easier to upgrade and i prefer desktops to anything portable. Thanks for all the Help you have been really helpful.
What sort of software comes with OSX if you buy it from Apple. I mean what basic software such as word processors web browsers and email etc?
Also does the networking thing mean i should have no issues connecting to the shared drives on a windows computer even though i would have a Mac?
Thanks

polevault139

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2006
Illinois
I'm really looking for a desktop i think because its easier to upgrade and i prefer desktops to anything portable. Thanks for all the Help you have been really helpful.
What sort of software comes with OSX if you buy it from Apple. I mean what basic software such as word processors web browsers and email etc?
Also does the networking thing mean i should have no issues connecting to the shared drives on a windows computer even though i would have a Mac?
Thanks
The most upgradable Mac would be the Mac Pro (http://www.apple.com/macpro/). The iMac is pretty much sealed unless you feel really comfortable dealing with computers. OS X comes with iLife which has apps such as iMovie, iDVD, iWeb, iPhoto, Photobooth, iCal, Mail, Address Book, and tons of other cool and useful stuff. There are 30 day trials of Microsoft Office for Mac and a 30 day trial of iWork '06 which has Pages(Word Processor) and Keynote(like Powerpoint). There is another word processor called Text Edit, which is like Notepad in Windows. As for browsers there is Safari.

With the networking you should not have any trouble. I connect to my PC at home and share files all the time without a problem.

m3gau

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2007
Thanks

Thanks Mate you have been really helpful now i just have to persuade the parents to part with the money for it all.
Do you know if programs such as MSN work on Mac OS?
Also does open office and firefox etc work?

Thanks again

polevault139

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2006
Illinois
Thanks Mate you have been really helpful now i just have to persuade the parents to part with the money for it all.
Do you know if programs such as MSN work on Mac OS?
Also does open office and firefox etc work?

Thanks again
I'm glad to help.

MSN Messenger I suppose you are talking about and the Mac comes with iChat which you could use, but Adium seems to be the popular choice around here.
I am typing this in Firefox right now, so yes, Firefox works
There is an open office for Macs as well. http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/

m3gau

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2007
cool

Yes i was talking about MSN messenger so i could use my account on Messenger with ichat or the other one?
I am trying to make sure that i can do everything on a mac that i can do on my PC.
Do you know if Skype works with Macs?

Thank you so much for all this information

Blubbert

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
iChat supports only AIM and Jabber. For MSN, you will have to install Adium, or some other program. Adium should work fine, because it supports almost every protocol used in instant messanging. As for Open Office, i would reccomend NeoOffice, because it has more of a Mac feel to it. Skype works, however, i dont know how well because i do not use it myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.