HELP! 2 external hard drives not recognized after being used for DVR

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hergreatescape, Aug 27, 2012.

1. hergreatescape macrumors newbie

My sister and I used to live in an apartment where our only option for cable was through some independent contractor for Dish Network. They didn't offer a Dish DVR, but we were able to connect Western Digital external hard drives to regular cable boxes and have DVR service that way. It worked just fine. We have since moved and gotten better cable.

I want to be able to use these 2 external hard drives for other purposes. Currently, they are formatted to work only with the DVR (I read somewhere that Dish boxes use Linux? Not sure if that's true.) I have a 1 year old MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard and she has an older MacBook, neither computer will recognize either of the 2 hard drives. They won't show up in Finder, Disk Utility or System Profiler.

Other forum threads I've read suggest to the poster that perhaps your hard drive is just dead. I do not think this is the case for me, that would be a pretty big coincidence if TWO drives suddenly died at the exact same time after that use. Both drives power on and seem to be working fine, it's just that our Macs act as if they don't exist.

Does anyone know how I can reformat them without them being able to show up in Disk Utility? I do not care about saving any data that's on them. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

What type of interface do these drives have?

How are they powered?

3. hergreatescape thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure what you mean by interface... but they are WD My Book drives, the large ones that plug into the wall for power and into the computer via USB.

4. simsaladimbamba

USB is the interface, like Firewire or Thunderbolt or Ethernet are an interface.

Do you have access to any Windows computer?