Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timinireland

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
Norn Iron
I was restarting my system, and an application wasnt closing, so i couldnt wait any longer, so i held in the power button to close it down.

Now when i press the power button, I get the chime, and it then just sits on the grey screen and does nothing.

I have tried the procedure for resetting the PRAM etc... I have tried pressing the shift button to boot into safe mode, and i have tried holding down the C key to boot from the Snow Leopard DVD, and none of them seem to work..

Anyone any other ideas? :(

Tim.

Vylen

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
Sydney, Australia
I unplugged everything, including the power cord, left it for 10 mins, plugged the power cord back in, and turned on. Same thing. :(

The keyboard and mouse are bluetooth..

You're going to need a wired keyboard to use the key presses to try different boot methods... afaik, the bluetooth "activation" doesn't actually occur during boot.

timinireland

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
Norn Iron
You're going to need a wired keyboard to use the key presses to try different boot methods... afaik, the bluetooth "activation" doesn't actually occur during boot.

Just been trying a usb keyboard, still no luck.. :(

Surely this cant be a hardware fault just because i turned it off? What happens if someone gets a power cut.. Is Apples system that fragile that a simple turning off causes this much trouble. :(

Vylen

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Just been trying a usb keyboard, still no luck.. :(

Surely this cant be a hardware fault just because i turned it off? What happens if someone gets a power cut.. Is Apples system that fragile that a simple turning off causes this much trouble. :(

Well it's never really recommended to hard shut down a machine unless you absolutely must.

As for power cuts, it's why people invest in Uninterruptible Power Supplies ;)

So there's a chance your impatience/rush killed your machine.

I don't really have any other suggestions at this point... you might have to take it into an Apple Store to be diagnosed.

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
apple logo, no apple logo?

its probably doing checks couse you screwed it, and you are just being too impatient, no offence

try boot it in verbose mode so you can see whats going on.

timinireland

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
Norn Iron
apple logo, no apple logo?

its probably doing checks couse you screwed it, and you are just being too impatient, no offence

try boot it in verbose mode so you can see whats going on.

Got the chime but no Apple logo... ive left it about 5 mins or so... Should i wait longer then?

DLary

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2005
I think no apple logo means it is searching for a hard drive. Try resetting the PRAM again and boot from the install cd. Make sure you hold the c key down until the spinning wheel appears. Run the disk utility and do a permissions repair and a Repair Disk.

timinireland

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
Norn Iron
Got it sorted.. I think the software RAID must have failed when i turned it off corrupting the drives, as I have 2 SSDs in there..

I removed one, and put my 1TB HDD back in, and reinstalled onto the one SSD, and everything is sweet again.

Just going to benchmark with one SSD now, to see if there was really that much of a difference in running two in software RAID.

Thanks for everyones input. :)

TiM.

joescamp7

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2010
how to fix imac not restarting properly

I had the same problem, and it was because I could not eject a disc. I turned my computer off, then turned it back on, and then Held the F12 button and it ejected the disc, and the imac works fine now. Also, my itunes is running full speed now, also. Hope this helps you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.