Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
I just plugged my MBP into a 20" ACD and hit F7 to mirror displays. The ACD is displaying what looks like 1280x800 instead of the native 1680x1050. Whats strange is that the displays panel of system preferences says im running 1680x1050 and when I hit F7 again (to span displays) the ACD does display at native res!!

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
I just tested on my powerbook and under mirror it will also mirror the maximum of the display the laptop has (unless you choose something smaller not larger)

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
eva01 said:
I just tested on my powerbook and under mirror it will also mirror the maximum of the display the laptop has (unless you choose something smaller not larger)
Oh. That doesn't really make sense... I mean, they advertise that I can run a 30" ACD on it, but that would look awful at 1440x900!!

Good thing I can at least span at native res.

Thanks.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Kingsly said:
Oh. That doesn't really make sense... I mean, they advertise that I can run a 30" ACD on it, but that would look awful at 1440x900!!

Good thing I can at least span at native res.

Thanks.

well now that i think about it. Mirror of course is a complete reflection so yes it would mirror the resolution as well.

And why would you want to mirror? Why not span or close the lid and run it in clamshell mode?

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
eva01 said:
well now that i think about it. Mirror of course is a complete reflection so yes it would mirror the resolution as well.

And why would you want to mirror? Why not span or close the lid and run it in clamshell mode?
I'd clamshell, but my MacBook Pro is so Freaking Hot™ that I am afraid of doing long term damage to the LCD panel and iSight.
Yes, its that hot.

What's worse, I cant get the apple wireless keyboard to pair... so I need my MBP keyboard and mouse.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Kingsly said:
I'd clamshell, but my MacBook Pro is so Freaking Hot™ that I am afraid of doing long term damage to the LCD panel and iSight.
Yes, its that hot.

What's worse, I cant get the apple wireless keyboard to pair... so I need my MBP keyboard and mouse.

Well call apple if the LCD or iSight gets damaged since the MBP is supposed to work in that way with no problems.

And call apple about the keyboard issue. Or someone else can help you

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
eva01 said:
Well call apple if the LCD or iSight gets damaged since the MBP is supposed to work in that way with no problems.

And call apple about the keyboard issue. Or someone else can help you
Again, I'd call but Im waiting for merom, at which point I am going to an Apple store, running two 'yes > /dev/null/' shells and waiting for my genius bar appointment.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
I don't understand why you don't just use it like an extended desktop. Are you attempting to have two displays to give you tons of workspace?

"Mirroring" means you have an exact replica of the image on your MacBook's LCD display. Of course it's going to be the same resolution.

There is nothing wrong with your display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.