Help!! 2008 MBP screen won't turn on, completely black

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ceykey5842, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Ceykey5842 macrumors newbie

My computer was asleep 12 hours and I opened it up, it made the usual startup sounds but the screen was completely black. This has happened before but I just needed to jiggle the mouse pad or shut it/reopen it and the screen would appear. This time that did not happen, it's been about an hour and the screen is still completely black. I restarted it by holding the power button and I can hear the motor stop but when I turn it on the white LED light is on but I do not hear the startup chime, I just hear the motor start then the humming of the steady motor but the screen stays black. I also have turned it off and removed the power cord as well as the battery but the same scenario happens after I put the battery back in and start it up.

I have an appointment with the Genius Bar tomorrow but really don't know anything about computers or the hard drive.

I would really appreciate hearing any possible causes before my appt.

I've read some things about The NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processor repair extension program but don't really understand it.

Besides the Genius Bar is there anywhere else I should have it looked at?

My AppleCare warranty is expired.

2. simsaladimbamba, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2013

simsaladimbamba

It is most probably the 8600M GT: MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues

As for what Apple will do, be kind to the one you speak to, maybe they can get you a free repair, as even the extended warranty (to four years) is now gone too.

And one thread per issue does suffice.

3. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Considering the age, I'd say you may have hit the issue with graphics card that has been well documented over the years. You're past the point of free repair, though, if that's the cause for your issue. It requires a logic board replacement, which is usually close to $1,000 to get done.

There's a slim chance that your problem could be caused by a dead PRAM battery, considering the system's age (almost 5 years now.) They're supposed to last anywhere from 4 to 5 years. They are essentially just a button cell style lithium battery (like what you find in watches or calculators), and would be the cheapest/easiest cause to repair.