HELP 2011 15 MBP Display Dead?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by weemanpow3, Sep 30, 2011.

1. weemanpow3 macrumors 6502

weemanpow3

My MacBook Pro specs are in my sig. It's been running perfectly until 1 hour ago. This is what happened. I had to restart my computer because I was gonna boot into windows. Now the whitescreen screen is gone. When I boot, all I see is a black screen but the display is still on and hear the Apple startup sound and that's it. I can't even do the reset PRAM thing. Also, the bottom gets very hot.

Anyone have suggestions. The only upgrade I have done was the ram back in April.

2. poppakristof macrumors newbie

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

id bring it in, you must still have warranty if its a 2011

4. weemanpow3 thread starter macrumors 6502

weemanpow3

Just got back from the Apple store. The genius took it in back to open it up and came out and said the logic board failed. He said it will take 3-5 days for it to be replaced. Good thing it's under warranty. Ill probably buy apple care for it when I pick it up next week.

For those who are wondering how much a replacement logic board for the 2.3ghz model cost. It's $487.50 and $39.00 Labor.

5. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

kinda scary when i see new machine have logic board failures. Makes you wanna pull that applecare trigger

6. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

That's infant mortality for you. Think of the failure rate of a computer as an inverse bell curve. There are going to be a lot of initial failures as bad components are weeded out. Once these bad eggs are gone, you reach a wide frame of time in which there are very few component failures. Then as products reach the end of their designed life, components begin to fail due to age related factors.

Although anything with a one-year warranty makes me gulp in anxiety. I don't have AppleCare for my 17"...yet. :cool:

7. auxsend macrumors regular

Yeah, take it to a store, you are easily inside your 1 year, even if you didn't buy AppleCare.