HELP! 2011 MBP 15" Battery No Charge/Charging Shuts Off

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MarkCooz, Aug 16, 2012.

1. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

So I've tried searching around and couldn't find any solutions to my problem.

I have a 2011 MBP 15" It was my buddies before. He used it fine and dandy he says. But then I bought it from him two days ago and I just recieved it today. Battery isn't working.
    I plug in the Magsafe it's green. Then MacBook automatically turns on. I get an error once i'm on the main desktop "Date/Time is set to (date) (2001)"

I check at the battery indicator it flashes all of the lights 5 times the same time. So whenever I unplug the Magsafe It would just shut off...

I tried restting PRAM

I tried SMC Reset

I already set up an appointment for tomorrow with Apple Store Genius Bar.
    Any of you know what's going on?? :confused::eek:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's a result of resetting your NVRAM, which you don't need to do.
    PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with battery/power/charging issues. Resetting it will not help. Only resetting the SMC addresses such issues.
    This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
    Use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your battery, temps, fan speeds and much more. What is your battery health?
    Good idea.

3. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

The battery probably doesn't hold a charge anymore. Download istat and see the battery health.

4. MarkCooz thread starter macrumors 6502a

So from reading one of those links. It says I may need to replace the Logic Board Battery!? -- That sure sounds it's gonna cost a lot..

I will update the thread when I get back from Apple Store tomorrow.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not necessarily. What does iStat Pro show for your battery health and cycles?

6. MarkCooz thread starter macrumors 6502a

So here's what it says with iStats...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also for some reason this macbook is really really laggy.
    It's a Quad Core for pete sakes. My dual core i5 is faster than this.. Is it because of the battery problems?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Quite possibly a contributing factor. Your battery is toast. Get it replaced.

Also, if you're having performance issues, this may help:

8. MarkCooz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for that. That's what my buddy recommended as well. I'm going to the Apple Store in 2 hours to get it checked and diagnosed. Hopefully I'll just need my battery replaced. Not the Logic Board.

Performance though.. I just upgraded this to Mountain Lion. Fresh Install. Even with the Snow Leopard Fresh Install. It was lagging.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Go through the performance tips I posted. If that doesn't help,
    1. Launch Activity Monitor
    2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
    3. Click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
    4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
    5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
    6. Post your screenshots.

10. MarkCooz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay so when I activated spotlight. I noticed that it's indexing stuff for my MacBook.. Would that be causing the lag? That's just one of my thoughts on why my mac could be laggy.. Or battery?

Attached Files:

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, indexing will absolutely contribute to slow performance. Just let it finish the indexing process, which can take from several minutes to a few hours. After it's complete, check your performance. Also, when posting screen shots of Activity Monitor, don't forget step 4 of the instructions.

12. MarkCooz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Never really experienced this type of lag specially in newer MBP's I have the 2010 2.53 i5 and had never experienced this thing.. Such a weird thing to have. This has 8GB RAM as well.

Attached Files:

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The initial indexing is demanding on system resources. Once the initial indexing is complete, maintaining that index with updates has very minimal impact on performance.

14. MarkCooz, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2012

MarkCooz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gotcha. I will keep you posted on how my apple store trip goes with the battery then with the performance after it stops indexing.. 25 mins left.

EDIT: So it stopped Indexing. It seems a bit snappier. But still not as fluid as it should be. The cursor isn't lagging which is good. Playing YouTube videos are still a bit iffy. But not as bad as it use to.

15. MarkCooz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry for the Double Post. But just wanted to update everyone. Problems solved.

Apple Genius Diagnosed my MBP and the battery was fried. It wasn't holding a charge. So they replaced it. Paid $135 total. Also the lagging that was happening was due to not having a working battery as well. Which was weird. I can confirm that because, without a working battery it was just really slow and unresponsive half the time.

After I got the battery replaced. Everything's working like a charm!

Thanks for all the help @GGJStudios