Help! 2015 rMB usually brain dead on wake from sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Sirolway, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Sirolway macrumors 6502

Loving the new rMB except that most of the time when it wakes from sleep, nothing works..

• Spotlight can't find simple things like Safari (every time I want from sleep I do this ti see if the MacBook is still working ok)
    • Launching or closing apps doesn't work
    • I can't even shut down without holding down the power button
    • Running apps are not responsive; web sites already open in Safari can't refresh pages, etc
    The only think for it is to hard power-off the laptop & start it up again, at which point all is well... until the next time.

Not what I had hoped for in a new laptop.
    Any suggestions before I wipe & clean install?

Thanks in advance

2015 1.3, 8GB rMB, running OS X 10.11

2. Dwayne82 macrumors member

3. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

Take it to apple store for fix or repair. Why screw aound with it.

4. Sirolway thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, done a first aid & it didn't help

5. Sirolway thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah you're quite right. It's not 100% predictable so it might be hard to show them what's going on. I suspect they will then suggest I reinstall it, so I'm going to do that first, if no one here has any other solutions. If it's still doing it after a clean reinstall, then it's Genius Bar time - there's a bunch pretty near me

6. Dwayne82 macrumors member

You said you did the first aid, but did you try the SMC-Reset i also suggested? The System Management Controller is responsible for some Hardware-Software communication issues, including the sleep mode.

7. Sirolway thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi Dwayne82 - you're right, I haven't tried the SMC reset yet. I'm going to try that now & will update this thread once done ..

8. Sirolway thread starter macrumors 6502

Tried the SMC reset - still the same crazy behaviour on wake (including an Apple menu extending all the way to the bottom of the screen). So I'm going to do a clean install when I have a few hours I can be without my laptop.

Hey ho - hopefully that will be an end to it..

9. Greene macrumors regular

Greene

This is a really weird problem, never heard of this in mac before. Everything but the power button issue (and maybe that too, not well versed / super smart) involves the SSD though. That could be the problem?

10. Sirolway thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I'm back after doing a clean reinstall from the recovery partition. So we shall see if the issues are resolved ... (so far so good but it's only been about a day)

11. Sirolway thread starter macrumors 6502

So far, post reinstall, the rMB has behaved impeccably - the issues are gone.
    So that's good news. I shall post an update if that changes.

BTW, I love how easy it is to reinstall a Mac; boot into the recovery partition, Disk Utilities, erase, Reinstall, Time Machine. Simple.