Help 2017 Macbook or Macbook Pro? Details inside

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eatsleepdrivesc, Nov 3, 2018.

?

Which one do I get?

1. Macbook 12 Inch

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Macbook Pro 13 Inch

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. Eatsleepdrivesc, Nov 3, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018

Eatsleepdrivesc macrumors member

Hi all,

I need some help. I currently have a decision to make and got it wrong in my other thread, I now have only these two options. Long story short, My parents bought me the 13 incher and they own the 12 incher.

Which do I get?

A Brand new base level 2017 13 inch Macbook pro without touchbar. (128gb, 8gb, i5 2.3 ) with AppleCare Plus for full 36 months

Or

A used but in very good condition 2017 Macbook 12 inch. (256gb, 16gb, i7 1.4) with AppleCare plus for another 28 months.

I really don't know which one is best. Anyone with insight would be very much appreciated.

2. anpaman macrumors member

3. Eatsleepdrivesc thread starter macrumors member

To be honest....simple word processing, web surfing, youtube watching, and maybe once a year a short iMovie project for the holidays of some pictures lol

4. anpaman macrumors member

I would suggest MacBook Pro 13 non touch bar. All those purpose would running smoothly on it.

Beside it was brand new. It was risky to buy used product and out of warranty. How if the Macbook's mainboard failed. The new mainboard is costly.

5. Eatsleepdrivesc, Nov 3, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018

Eatsleepdrivesc thread starter macrumors member

I just edited my OP. Sorry I should have included that, the Macbook one has AC+ for another 25 ( I should have added that ) and then my parents told me they would buy me the AC+ for the new one if I choose that one.

6. anpaman macrumors member

If like that. It would worth to buy macbook with better processor, ram and storage.

7. Mike Boreham, Nov 4, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2018

Mike Boreham macrumors 68000

A very personal choice but mine would be the 12" MacBook due small and light and silent, 16GB RAM, and 256GB.

The 12" MacBook is more capable than people who haven't used it usually credit it, and 128GB of the MBP would be unusable for me without an external drive.

There are fewer reports of keyboard problems with the 12" MacBook than the MBP, though both use the same second gen keyboard technology. (But this is covered by Apple's extended warranty now)
    --- Post Merged, Nov 4, 2018 ---
    For some people a big negative on the MacBook would be the single USB-C port which is USB3,1, while the MBP has two USB-C ports which are TB3.

The single port doesn't matter for many and can be addressed with very portable mini-hubs if you are only occasionally going to connect externals and charge at the same time.

The TB3 doesn't really matter unless you are going to connect an external monitor. The single USB port on the 12" hasn't got enough bandwidth to support 4K external and USB 3 at the same time.

8. Schnegg macrumors member

Schnegg

My guess in a nutshell: the specs on the 12" would be good enough for your use case. I would make a decision based on size and storage space. If you can live with 128GB, the Pro is a much better machine. If you can live with the smaller screen, the 12" is a great lightweight choice.

If you can get a nice deal, the new MacBook Air with 256GB would be a nice compromise with better battery life than both your options.

9. Eatsleepdrivesc thread starter macrumors member

Yea I don't foresee any use of an external monitor. Maybe sometimes plugging in a camera to upload pics