Help? 21 v 27

Discussion in 'iMac' started by markydee, Jan 5, 2013.

1. markydee macrumors newbie

So I just ordered the new 21.5" iMac last week (still processing) and I ordered the fully loaded one:

3.1GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    16GB RAM
    1TB Fusion Drive
    NVIDIAGeFrc GT 650M 512MB
    =$2,150

Now I went to Apple yesterday and found out that they were starting to sell the 27" ones as well here in Calgary (AB, Canada). Now I'm starting to wonder if I should just ditch the one I ordered and grab one of the 27's instead but with these specs (the higher end stock model):

3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
    8GB RAM
    1TB HDD
    NVIDIAGeFrc GTX 675MX 1GB
    =$2,000

I only do casual stuff (surfing the net, chat, email, watch movies/tv) and the only "heavy duty" things I do are editing in Photoshop, a little video-editing and I play The Sims 3.

Which do you guys think is the better choice for me?

2. sergiobaschi macrumors regular

You don't consider the base 27" with Fusion Drive? Considering your usage I think that would be a better option for you.

But of the two options you've provided, I'd say go with the 27". (Edit: Especially since you easily can throw in extra RAM later on.)

3. AT06 macrumors 6502

AT06

IF you can afford it then the 27" would be better in the long run, especially as you can max your RAM and the GTX675m is a pretty powerful card that can play most games at high settings no problem. Go with your gut, and your wallet, is my advice :D

4. sergiobaschi macrumors regular

The 27" is $150 less than the 21.5", according to OP. So OP can probably afford it.

5. Bear macrumors G3

Buy the 27" and when you can buy 16GB (2x8GB) of third party memory. You'll appreciate the large display for editing photos and videos.