Help - 3G Battery Won't Charge When Powered Off

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hexum23, Nov 5, 2008.

1. hexum23 macrumors newbie

Hello,

It seems that my iPhone 3G stops charging when I power it off. Sometimes it will fully charge when I power it off, and sometimes it doesn't. What could be causing this? I'm using the wall charger that came with the phone.

2. daisuke07 macrumors regular

I thought it doesn't charge when it's powered off? Or at least mine doesn't I don't think.

3. hexum23 thread starter macrumors newbie

You know, maybe you're right, but I could have sworn it has fully charged when powered off in the past. Last night I was down to 10% battery. I plugged it in, shut off the phone and went to bed. When I turned it on this morning it was at about 50% battery, so it did charge a little while it was powered off, but only half way at most.

4. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I don't think it's supposed to charge when powered off.

5. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Question is: Why the heck are you powering off your iPhone? Mine is on 24/7. I only reboot it every once in a while if it starts to slow down.

6. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

That's what I do too.

7. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I charge mine when I don't want it on. (ie. Late Saturday nights) And my iPhone 3G as well as my iPhone first gen charge while powered off.

8. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Why not just turn on Airplane mode? Does it harm the phone by having it in sleep mode? Why do people turn them all the way off? I don't think the iPhone was meant to be turned off... just sleeping. It's better for the battery to keep the iPhone on and always charge even if the battery is hardly moved.

9. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

On a regular night I put airplane mode on and plug it in. I think of the night I turn it off a break for my iPhone. Not that it needs one. It's more of a break for me so that I'm not on it all the time on that particular night. I just put it away for a little awhile. It's not harmful both ways. Asleep makes no difference to turning it off, I just do it by habit and preference.