HELP - 4.1 => 4.2.1 Disaster

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Sundowner, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Sundowner macrumors newbie

During the update, the 3GS phone got stuck in "recovery mode", and my PC would not recognize it as connected (iRecover didn't help, either). Ended up taking it to my old PC to "restore" to the latest version, but lost all content on the phone.

Now my PC recognized it, and I was able to restore from a backup ~6 hrs to restore. Thanks for nothing Apple! :)-() What if I hadn't had the old PC around?
    Unfortunately, the nightmare wasn't over.

Now the battery drains like crazy. I used to start the day @ 100% and would lose (use) about 15%. Now, it's all gone in just over 8 hrs, and that without having used the phone AT ALL!!

NOTHING CHANGED EXCEPT FOR DOING THE UPDATE VIA ITUNES! Never jailbroken either.

Interestingly, usage and standby times under Settings | General | Usage are the same! It's as if I had a constant open phone connection. The phone is warm too.

Even if I turn off 3G and cellular data, it seems to make no difference.

I killed all the running apps in the "taskbar" (hold icons until jiggle, and press the "-") even did the restart thing - no difference.

I hear a suggestion to restore as a new phone in iTunes, but with over 300 apps, that is not a trivial task. It would be nice if there was a way to easily make a list of all the apps I have installed on the phone - I have about 600 in my PC (iTunes), of which about half are installed.

All of this because I chose to accept Apple's maintenance update - something is really wrong here, Steve Jobs!! :mad:

Can anybody help?

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

If you "hactivated" with Redsn0w that's your problem. You should have activated with an official carrier.

3. Sundowner thread starter macrumors newbie

No hack or jailbreak on this phone...all official Apple

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Hmm. Restore your iPhone again and set it up as "new". Something in your back up is causing the drastic battery drain.

5. meatballs macrumors 6502

6. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

1) Where does it say he hacktivated his phone?

2) Jailbreaking and hacktivating does not affect the phone's performance at all. Installing packages from Cydia is what slows it down.

7. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

1. He clarified in his post.

2. His iPhone isn't jailbroken. And yes, hackivating is another cause to battery drain.

8. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Whatever you want to think dude :rolleyes:

9. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

From Sherif_Hasim on the iPhone Dev-Team blog

"on a very important side note, before anyone starts to complain about battery drainage issues after installing the new ultrasn0w on the 6.15.00 updated BB, the culprit here is not ultrasn0w, it's the hacktivation process (activating the phone by pwnage tool or redsn0w rather than using an official carrier sim to do so) that u mostly did while jailbreaking.

The 4.1 and 4.2.1 ipsws unlike their old ancestors, seem to keep looking for valid push certificates all the time, either thru your wifi, or thru your cellular data network (which u only have after installing ultrasn0w and hence u accuse it) , this can be seen clearly if u have a cellular working data plan for 3g or edge and u watched the settings > general > usage > cellular network data (sent & received are continuously increasing even without using any internet traffics on the phone) , this will also render the phone going hot even in stand by mode and also very rapid battery drainage occurs plus consuming ur data if you were not on an unlimited plan.

so to resolve this, u either:
    A) try to activate the phone using the official sim if u have it (even if the sim itself is old and not working) , or borrow it from a friend if it's possible, by any means, try to have an access to one and use it
    B) if A is not feasible, u can install SBsettings from featured cydia packages and turn wifi and data off when u r not using it (shuts down both 3g and edge) , till C is done
    C) there is a very nice module being worked on by a trusted jailbreak app dev, namely @sbingner , which ll resolve that issue for those having it, the details of which shouldn't be disclosed until he finishes his awesome work, till then, either use A or B to resolve the issue if it exists for you"
    ----------------------------
    "Ultra-Recycle" Post.

Update #6: Developer @sbingner (author of TetherMe) has made some excellent progress devising a new hactivation method that kills two birds with one stone for all you ultrasn0w unlockers. His tool, “Subscriber Artificial Module (SAM)” tricks your iPhone and iTunes into creating legitimate activation tickets even though you’re unlocked with ultrasn0w. This means you get the full benefit of push applications, and your battery life increases substantially. If you’d like to try it out, check out http://www.bingner.com/SAM.ht