Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

llewelynlad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
Hello

Just got an iPhone 5. I want to give my old 4s to my son. I've reset the 4s but when we now try to activate it it wants me sign in with the id used to set the pone up. Its gives me an old email address which i have no access to and i suspect it was another account i set up before i realized the importance of these things.

Problem is i cant re set the password as i cant get to the email account and when i go through the security it wont accept my date of birth....Help

Thanks

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
In other words you're stuck with an activation locked iphone most likely that's stolen or lost and cant get in.
That's what happens and the phone is now useless. No way around it.
If it really was your phone you'd know the itunes password. Save the wild story, we hear it here every day.

llewelynlad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
In other words you're stuck with an activation locked iphone most likely that's stolen or lost and cant get in.
That's what happens and the phone is now useless. No way around it.
If it really was your phone you'd know the itunes password. Save the wild story, we hear it here every day.

Not helpful! I don't know the password as i changed it to something obscure as my daughter ran up a silly bill gaming on her ipod! trouble was it was 2 years ago. IF i did register it on my current id it should show up on the find my i phone app? it doesn't.

Is it useless, is it worth contacting Apple i have proof of purchase etc.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Yes, you can try contacting Apple not sure if you can verify your identity to them and then have them reset your apple ID.
Proof of purchase not sure if it means much cause those phones are bought and sold used multiple times But its worth a try.
You don't remember your itunes password, you don't remember your email password, you don't remember your day of birth or have a way to reset that email account either...
If its not on your find my iphone app its on someone elses.

Last edited:

llewelynlad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
Set up a new itunes account at a time when i never used it and didn't understand it all. Had an email account from ISP as i was working away from home for some time. That account has gone along with the email account. This came at the same time i got my first iphone. Why it wont accept my DOB i've no idea!

Thanks anyway..I'll try apple direct then bin it

llewelynlad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
just another thought...i was trying to activate this phone with my old sim card in it. This card no longer works as the account has been transferred to my new phone and sim. Could it work if i get an iphone sim card for my sons account. Could this be the problem.

It does say, when i try my current id, that this account cant be used to activate the phone. But when i try the old id it says its incorrect.

I've removed the sim now and its asking for a valid sim

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
The sim card has nothing to do with it if its activation locked with icloud.
No sim card or anything can bypass that.
Does it show you a screen like this below?

TS4515_01-icloud-activate-iphone-001-en.png

llewelynlad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
yes, thats the screen it shows with the old sim card in. With no sim card in it requests a valid sim card. I just though that you'd probably need a working sim to activate the phone. Wondering if i put my daughters sim card in it may let me activate it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.