Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

its Dale

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2013
LA California
I am asking if any of you have experience w/ a similar situation.

I bought my iPhone 6 back in Sept. from my Supervisor (who is currently on vacation). I do not have a receipt, I'm sure I can ask him for a copy.. he ordered it online. However, he wont be back until 2015.

I noticed today that the phone is VERY SLIGHTLY ALMOST NOT NOTICEBLY bent near the volume buttons. My display is SLIGHTLY lifted. I can see it and it moves when i push it down,

My question is: Will it be an issue that I don't have a receipt and bought it from someone?

I hear people say "No questions asked", but does that really mean No questions ask? I had the iPhone 5 before and had to go to the genuis bar when it was new. I dont remember if they asked me for any info.

If anyone had similar experience, please chime in. I don't want to tell them how i got my phone if it will hinder chances of replacing it.

TLDR: Appointment w/ Genuis Bar coming up Saturday to possibly replace phone. I bought phone off someone i know, but cant obtain a receipt until 2015. Will there be an issue?

Last edited:

Neokiller309

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2011
haha im not going to mention its bent. Just going to show them that the display is lifted.

That's probably the best option. I had two iPhone 5s' replaced due to the screen lifting, While waiting on the second replacement they told me the glue that is used in the factory doesn't completely dry in place sometimes.

its Dale

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2013
LA California
That's probably the best option. I had two iPhone 5s' replaced due to the screen lifting, While waiting on the second replacement they told me the glue that is used in the factory doesn't completely dry in place sometimes.

did they ask you for a receipt or proof of purchase?

AkuskaUK

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
Shanklin, Isle Of Wight
did they ask you for a receipt or proof of purchase?

I sold my black iPhone 4 when the white one came out, the white one i purchased was from a friend. The screen clicked at the top right corner, when i went to an Apple store, they replaced it right then and there.

They shouldn't ask, but they may?

its Dale

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2013
LA California
I sold my black iPhone 4 when the white one came out, the white one i purchased was from a friend. The screen clicked at the top right corner, when i went to an Apple store, they replaced it right then and there.

They shouldn't ask, but they may?

Cool thanks. Thats good to know there's a chance so i dont waste a trip.

its Dale

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2013
LA California
Update****

Im here at the Apple Store right now. Waiting for them to "fix or replace" my display and "crescent moon" front facing camera. No questions asked other than "does it click when you push the display down". They estimated an hour to try and fix the issues and said they will replace the phone if they can not fix the issues. no receipt needed

cc999

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
wow

Im here at the Apple Store right now. Waiting for them to "fix or replace" my display and "crescent moon" front facing camera. No questions asked other than "does it click when you push the display down". They estimated an hour to try and fix the issues and said they will replace the phone if they can not fix the issues. no receipt needed

What was final outcome? Fixed or replaced?

CC

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA

Crescent moon? I thought it was barely noticeable. :p Hope you receive an eclipse.

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
why would you need a receipts? Was there any doubt that your iPhone 6 is outside its 1 year warranty?

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I've never needed the receipt when getting stuff repaired or exchanged at the Apple Store. I think you'll be fine.

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
haha im not going to mention its bent. Just going to show them that the display is lifted.

My display is lifted but the phone is not bent. If you search "za interweb" you can see hundreds of threads about lifted / clicking displays on the iPhone 6. Some came right out of the box wih this issue. Mine developed the clicking display about a week ago and I bought the phone on launch day.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Lol the bend was barely noticeable, but the crescent moon was obvious. The phone they gave me is in perfect condition. My old 6 even had a tiny scratch on the bottom.
People rag on Apple, some issues to be sure but great customer service is worth a lot. Try doing this with any other phone maker except Microsoft.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.