Help a Car Newb replace his blinker bulb?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MBHockey, Jan 5, 2008.

1. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I have a 2001 Jetta and today the amber blinker bulb in the headlight of my car stopped working (right side, it just stays off), causing the other two blinker bulbs on that side of my car to blink rapidly.

How do I know which bulb I need to buy? Where could I find instructions on how to get to the bulb I need to change?

I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, I'd just like some advice from car guys before I do it since I haven't done it before.

2. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

the manual that came with your car should have this information and instructions - have you looked there?

3. ricecook macrumors regular

ricecook

well if you dont like getting your hands dirty wear a glove..
    to take the bulb out it mostly you just kind of push down and twist the bulb and pops out..then check the voltage or the info on the bulbs then take it to your local auto store and match the info of the bulbs you have to the one you need..or you can ask the person that works there:D

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Both the instructions and the type of bulb should be in the manual.

A car parts store like AutoZone should at least be able to tell you the bulb it requires if you can't find that.

5. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yeah, I should have mentioned that I don't know where it is. I'll try and locate a pdf of it. Thanks

6. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

No, Volkswagens are money pits so they want you to take it to the dealer.

At my local auto parts store I can bring in the bulb, they take one look at it and get me a new one. Its amazing, they don't even have to hold it. If you can figure out how to get the bulb out just do that. I am sure that any autoparts store has a guide of what cars use what.

I know in my uncles Passat for the passenger side bulb you must remove the air intake. :rolleyes:

Why not look around on some VW sites

7. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yeah, I was able to buy a PDF version of the owner's manual, and I've looked through it. Definitely nowhere in it does it tell me anything related to what kind of bulb it is, or how to remove/replace it. Grr.

8. ricecook macrumors regular

ricecook

just take call your local auto store..tell them you model of you car they will be able to help you...this is a basic thing there nothing to it:)

9. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

What did I tell you haha.

Try looking at this, it may be of some help. Its for a headlight but I assume the turn signal light is near the headlight.
    http://laudeman.com/volkswagen/golf_headlight.html

Keep in mind your radio may be coded so if you take out the battery you will have to know your radio code to use your radio again.

Volkswagens are nice cars, until you want to make the simplest repair and then it turns into a 4 hour job.

My suggestion to you is just take it to the dealer before you break something

10. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Autoparts stores (such as Autozone) have books which list the bulb types for all common models and years. That, plus the staff should know too.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'd have to double check (which I won't, because I'm too lazy), but when I was looking through my GTI's manual, I'm pretty sure I saw instructions on how to change the headlights and blinkers.

Anyways, if you can't find it in the manual, head on over to VWVortex. There's bound to be instructions somewhere, if not, you can post and someone should give you more info

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Just use Google, I'm sure someone else has had the same problem and the solution should be there somewhere.:)

13. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

wow. easy there.

it's been a long time since i sold my jetta, but i'm pretty sure that info was in the manual.

and that thing had electrical gremlins the dealership could never find - i sold it before the extended warranty ran out (and that warranty paid for itself with all the repairs i needed in the 5 years i had it). vw is not really on my list of cars to consider getting again, though i was tempted by a toureg a few years ago...

14. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Unfortunately, you're incorrect. It's not in there. I called a friend today and asked him to thumb through his 2001 jetta manual for me, he couldn't find it either.

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

seriously just do this. they have a database. ask an attendent and they will look it up on there computers.

then it literally is undoing screws and replace bulb. changing bulbs is probably the easiest thing to do in the car besides inflate tires. maybe even easier so dont stress too much lol

16. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

It's easier on the Passenger side than the Drivers side. I can't think of the bulb off-hand, but Autozone or Pepboys WILL have the bulb you need.

Grab a philips screwdriver (in case it's on the drivers side) and a flashlight. If on the drivers side - the will be a plastic cover between the battery box and headlight. (it will have a "stamp" of a lightbulb on top of it) should have 3 or 4 P2 Philips Screws in the top if memory serves correct. Remove this first.

Then - you will see the back of the headlight assembly - there should be either 1 or 2 approximately 14ga steel "wires" (springs) which are clamping the assembly shut. You gently lift outwards and they should "snap" to the side. Once both are snapped aside, you can pull the cover away enough to get your hand in there. The bulb should be easily accessible then. If you can't see so well - shine the flashlight from the OUTSIDE of the headlight - INTO it - and look from the back - you'll see everything easily.

Pop that bulb out, and snap the cover back on. Drive to autozone/pepboys - walk in and say "THIS - I NEED FOR THIS"

Get the new one, and reverse what you just did.

Check function of bulbs before you clamp it shut.

Dishes done.

17. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

18. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Our Touareg is a piece of garbage. It's well built, fun to drive, and aesthetically but electrically its a nightmare. Repair costs are high and (as you can see with this thread) can't even easily change a light bulb on it. Lets see what has gone wrong... fuel injectors 2x (and yes we're using premium in it), fuel pump 1x, trunk latch 2x, headlights 4-5x, tail lights, license plate lights every time it gets its oil changed, CD player (how can you screw that up), mass air flow sensor, 2 CV joints, air suspension sensors, I'll stop now and just tell you this thing is an (built in late 04) year 2005 with 46 or 47 or so thousand miles. This car has left us stranded at least 2 or 3 times.

I am telling you, most of the people I know that have owned a VW have sold it because it was a nightmare. This includes mostly passats- both 1.8t, V6, and the TDI. We know some Jetta people too. We also know a couple other people with Touaregs who haven't been very happy with the reliability. One guy has a touareg that will eat through tires every 10k miles.

I love their cars, I just wish they weren't so unreliable and that they weren't over-engineered so that to do one little thing, such as changing a light bulb, with out having to take apart 1/2 the car. It would probably help cut down on the repair costs too.

19. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

My GTI had a MAF failure once - , and both window regulators, fixed for free.

My TDI has been trouble free. (2002 - bought it used - great car, IMO)

Also consider that squeaky wheels get the grease - and perhaps you got a lemon? People with good, working cars, tend not to complain about them too much. ;)

I'm well aware that some VWs have more then their fair share of problems - but there are also VWs out there that do not.

20. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

well, i'm glad to hear that i did the right thing by passing on the touareg, but i'm sorry to hear about the problems you've had with yours. :eek: it is truly a shame that they just can't seem to put out reliable cars (from my own personal experience and hearing so much anecdotal information like this) :(.

21. icepuck72 macrumors newbie

I know this is a 2 month old post, but my wife and I just purchased a '01 Jetta. Not ever owning a VW, I was a bit skeptical. My wife has owned 2 previously.

Well, I was looking over the manual and was surprised to find out that they want you to come in to change lightbulbs and such. There are absolutely no instructions on HOW TO DO ANYTHING TO THIS CAR!!! I've always been the one to do things myself....So I hit the searches and this thread came up. That and I have a Macbook so I figured I'd register for this site.

22. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

23. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

I'm on my 5th VW. Never had a problem with a single one aside from a dead battery (not VW's fault). I love 'em.

It's not difficult to change any light on any VW's I've owned. Seriously? How dumb do you have to be to not be able to do this?

24. klymr macrumors 65816

Lights are cake compared to a timing chain. Try that one on for size. ;) Took me a while to do it, but I did all the work myself. Oh, and yes, the truck is still running a year later.

25. icepuck72 macrumors newbie

Wow, such a helpful response. :rolleyes: Just so happens that I visited the VWvortex threads and they all pretty much say to be careful when changing out the lights.

You should work on your people skills.