Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hktran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
I've been looking into buying an iPad lately and don't really know where to start. I really don't have that much money to spend so I've been thinking about buying old or refurbished iPads. With the introduction of the iPad mini, that may also be in the mix also. So my question is. . which model should I buy? Keep in mind that I would probably buy a used or refurbished version of the iPad 2 or 3. Apple is currently selling their refurbished iPad 2 for 320 and their iPad 3 for 380. I'm an Econ major so I'll mostly be using the iPad to take notes as a lot of the courses involve graphs. I'll also be using it for textbooks and readings. What do you guys think? Is the iPad 2 too outdated or is the iPad 3 not worth my time?

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I personally like my iPad 1 - If you buy a used iPad 2 and feel like its "not enough" you will lose next to nothing in resell value (as long as you dont mind dealing with CL or eBay, etc.) The iPad 3 refurbished from Apple is a great deal also in my opinion. my 2 cents

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
You're Econ so I'm guessing you have to draw a lot of charts and such? I'd stick with the normal pen and paper. Ever tried taking notes on an iPad in Calculus? Not fun at all. Also, you mentioned that you're short on cash, do you NEED and iPad or is this a WANT? Save the money, get textbooks or establish a rainy day fund.

If you do need one, I'd get a mini. Easy to carry around and hold in hands. If you need to take notes, draw stuff, or need the power for certain apps, get a refurb iPad 3.

Red05

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
If the refurbished iPad2 is $320 and the refurbished iPad3 is $380, then get the iPad3. The extra $60 is worth it.

hktran

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
Is there a considerable difference between the iPad 2 and 3? Should I even look at the mini at all?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.