Help a complete technophobe - will Quicktime Pro do what I need?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by neon, Jan 13, 2008.

1. neon macrumors member

Hi
    My husband has a Sony Camcorder that creates MPEGs, which is great for his windows laptop, not so much for my mac.

I don't want to do anything but play them, maybe put them on a future ipod (only have an old style nano at the moment so not crucial), will Quicktime Pro do the job? The web page for it isn't really clear, probably because I'm clueless :) if it does then it's worth my £20, if not I need another solution...

Help!!

TIA :)

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

QT Pro will most definitely play them (you could play them with regular QT too). You would need Pro to put them on an iPod (unless iTunes can handle muxed MPEGs...)

3. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

You shouldn't need Quicktime Pro to play them, only the free Quicktime.

If that doesn't work, I would try VLC first before spending money on Quicktime Pro.

4. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Quicktime will definitely play them, you don't have to buy the pro version. However, there is a problem with muxed mpegs, seems that any conversion will strip the clip from any audio that contains. If you plan on converting muxes MPEGs into anything else, you will need another application, such as FFMPEGX. But if you only want to view them, quicktime (not pro) will suffice.