help a confused MBP user (deciding to bootcamp windows)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by shyam09, Jan 29, 2011.

1. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

ok so i have a copy of Windows 7 ultimate. and well im deciding whether or not to use it on my MBP (you know through bootcamp)...
    im going to be a college student so i really dont see a need for it, but just in case (i guess?)
    i know its a stupid question, because why use (why WANT!) windows on a MAC... [besides i already have a PC Win. Vista Desktop)....
    i guess based on the whole arrangement of the post you can see how confused my mind is... i just dont know where to go.. it would be cool to have windows on my Mac, just in case , but i dont want to screw up the mac either.

[the whole screw-up mac is based on forum posts about accidentally removing the MAC partition, etc)..

if someone can lead me to a good direction, all will be appreciated

EDIT: the purpose i can see with the windows 7, is installing windows software that seems important (through giveaways, etc), and other business stuff [its not a clear reason, but like i said IM Confused!)

so I'm sry you had to read this jumble of thoughts (but if someone can lead me a path and address the pros/cons i will be happy!

thanks so much

2. aussiedj macrumors regular

You sound confused.

Firstly I haven't ran windows on my mac, so my advice isn't from someone with experience.

But when you look at it. Your brain is telling you that you have a modern piece of software sitting there, and naturally you want to make use of that rather than let it go to waste. A feeling I'm sure everyone can relate with.

I guess it would only be useful if you planned on playing games on your mac. If not, then you really don't have a reason at this stage to do it. It would be foolish in my opinion to install it now & decreasing your disk space because you "might" need it sometime in the future. When that time comes, then rethink you decision.

But I haven't done it, so I guess get some other people's advice who have. But seriously, you got a mac for a reason. And I'm pretty sure that wasn't so you could continue using windows.

OSX is a HELL of a lot of fun & so much more advanced than windows when you start getting into really advanced stuff. You are probably feeling this way because you "know" windows better than OSX right at this moment. We all feel that. But as I said, you moved to mac for a reason. Get to know it & you won't ever want to mention windows again.

3. shyam09, Jan 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

shyam09 thread starter macrumors 68000

shyam09

thanks for the kind comment :D
    i appreciate it.. ill think about it.
    and like aussiedj said:
    can someone else give me some advice?

thanks

4. RedRallyeZ macrumors regular

I'm a college student and I'm not sure what your major is, but being in a lot of Management classes that need excel, i put win7 on my mac for that reason.

I've also got office on my mac side, but my classes need alot of plug ins that specify that it HAS to run on a windows based operating system. if the plug ins for excel go into the OS X side, then they produce the wrong numbers.

so thats why i put bootcamp on mine, i only gave it like 30 gigs though, because excel is ALL i use it for.

5. vistadude macrumors 65816

First, upgrade your vista desktop to windows 7, there's really not many reasons to keep vista around. Then after using windows 7 a bit on your desktop, you'll know if you want or need it on your mac.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Or, download VirtualBox and install your W7 in that without entering a product key.

You'll get 30 days of free trial of Windows 7 and can see if Virtualization is good enough for you. You didn't mention games or CAD or anything particularly taxing, so Boot Camp may be overkill.

If you like it, enter the product key, if not consider using it on your desktop as vistadude suggests.

B

7. shyam09 thread starter macrumors 68000

shyam09

does virtualization take a huge toll on processor, heat, battery life?
    i read it somewhere i wasnt sure. i have parallel's desktop, but i am not sure if i want to use it

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Only when you run your VM.

Again. Try it Parallels offers a free trial too so you can check it all out with no real risk. If it doesn't work for you just uninstall it.

B

9. Lopezjose7 macrumors newbie

I recently installed Windows 7 on my mac using parallels desktop 6 and it ran even better than when I used it on a PC at work... but since then I've not touched it since.

Why go out and buy a mac when your going to install Windows on it was what I questioned myself after. I'm not really into PC games, so for me I have no real use for it.

But go for it, it's a good experience to test it out and see how well it all works.