Help a first time Mac buyer.....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Gix1k, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Considering this laptop or this iMac. Which is the better deal? Asking because I know knowing about Mac's. This would be my first Mac. Want it to be a good experience. Dont want to have to worry about upgrading any time soon. I can get both of these for $600

Laptop
    System Manufacturer Apple Inc.
    System Model MacBook2,1Processor x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~1995 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Apple Inc. MB21.88Z.00A5.B07.0706270922, 6/27/2007
    Office 7
    350 gig hardrive
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Clean in very good condition, like NEW!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or this desktop..

"IMac: 24" 2.16/2G,250,SD,AP,BT,WLKBM"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or this one for $625

It has 4gb ram "upgraded from 2gb", 250 gb hard drive, 2.16 intel core 2 duo processor " two dual core processors ", dual layer dvd/rw, eyesite webcam, + a like new battery and charger. This also has two operating systems both Leopard 10.5.7 and XP Professional along with office 2008 and adobe cs3 indesign Premium

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chrisandersen macrumors 6502

chrisandersen

Go with the 24", unless you need to carry it around.

3. 1ne macrumors regular

I am liking the iMac. But the more important is... how do u feel?

4. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

It doesn't say whether the MacBook has a Core 2 Duo or a Core Duo. You will be able to take more advantage of snow leopard with the Core 2. I would go with the iMac.

5. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Are all three of them equal in "horsepower" minus the RAM differences? I have a 17" PC laptop now I am selling. I am thinking it'll be hard to start using a 13" macbook screen. That alone makes me want the iMac....although, being able to carry it would be nice. I currently dont have a desktop...just my laptop, so placement for the iMac is an issue...Argh!

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

Well, there's always the "best of both worlds" approach. That is, if you want the portability and a big screen, buy the laptop and an external monitor (plus keyboard and mouse). Then when you're at home plug in the screen, keyboard, and mouse, and use the MacBook like a desktop. Unplug and use it on the go when you want.

A lot of people run that way. You can even use the built-in screen as an extended little screen beside the main one, if you want (though it's probably not feasible to use the built-in keyboard and mouse in this configuration, because the little screen would block view of the big screen unless it was off to the side, in which case you'd be typing at a funny angle relative to the "main" screen).

In terms of power, yes they're similar. They both have exactly the same processor (Core2Duo T7400 2.16GHz). But... the iMac has a MUCH faster dedicated graphics card versus the integrated graphics with shared RAM in the MacBook. It also has a faster hard drive, on account of being a desktop.

So if you have any intention of gaming (or other 3D work) at all, you'd be much better off with the iMac, and the improved graphics card and HD speed with result in it being somewhat faster in general. That said, they'll both number-crunch at similar speed, and even the MacBook should be fine for most everyday stuff.

7. Gix1k thread starter macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Just the response I have been looking for. Great...Thanks!!

8. Jabbamk1 macrumors member

Jabbamk1

Plus the macbook comes with leopard wheras the iMac comes with tiger so if you were to upgrade to snow leopard it would cost almost £130 more on the iMac.

But yeh i would get a secondary monitor and hook up the macbook as well as buy a wireless keyboard and mouse. The macbook is fine for everyday stuff and even light gaming/gaphic work.

However the iMac comes with a built in screen already but it is not very portable. It does have a faster hard drive but not by much.