Help a former PC guy

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by djole, Nov 13, 2008.

1. djole macrumors newbie

Hi,

I got a 2x2.8 mac pro but I didn't think of all issues I would face by switching (I'm was a PC until yesterday).

I few things:

I have Logitech Z-640 5.1 Speaker System, and I used this Creative 5.1 sound card in my PC. I'm pretty sure this card wouldn't work in my Mac. What do you recommend as a replacement? Please try to keep it low(er). I did spend $2800 on a Mac but I have a ton of other stuff I need to get, so as long is it gives me decent sound, I am happy. In other words, is there something that's up to $50?

How should I format my internal drives? The OS is Extended Journaled. Should other internal drives be Journaled? Or does it make any difference?

Thanks a lot for your help!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No idea on the 5.1 sound card, but the internal drives should be formatted the same, HFS+ (Mac OS Extended Journaled)

3. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

You need a DD/DTS processor between the computer and speakers. You can always go out and buy a cheap receiver (5.1) these days. Everyone is dumping excellent quality H/T receivers (home theater) across the board, in favor of the new HDMI switching.

Buy one, run the optical signal from the Mac Pro to an optical in on the receiver, and BOOM! Dolby Digital and DTS!!! On the (relatively) cheap:)

Or, buy a USB outboard sound card.

Don't dick with an internal card. The USB/FW solutions are much quieter, better noise floor, and in most cases....especially for home use, cheaper!

Max Extended Journal, unless you are going to put Windows or another OS on a specific drive!

J

4. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

If the speakers have an Optical audio port, you could use the out ports on the Mac Pro. That will let you use the surround sound.

5. Bfat567 macrumors 6502

Bfat567

No toslink or optical on the Z-640's :(

6. djole thread starter macrumors newbie

What about this USB card?
    Yes, it's pretty cheap but it seems OK according to 92 people who've tried it.

Thank you guys a lot for your help!

7. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

That USB sound card will not work.

Save money and get the Griffin Firewave Firewire sound card. It will get you 5.1 audio working in OS X, for a cheap price of 20$. If you want real quality, buy a Yamaha receiver for $180ish from amazon.

8. djole thread starter macrumors newbie

Got it already! Thanks a lot!