Help, a hub for the new macbook 2016?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jeanvigo, Feb 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jeanvigo macrumors newbie

jeanvigo

Hi guys
    I am looking for a hub that has the hdmi, the sd card slot, of course the usb. I have seen the Satechi one it looks cool and is not so expansive but is missing the hdmi. Any suggestion?

2. bartvk macrumors 6502

bartvk

I assume you also want USB-PD, power delivery? (i.e. hub is in between charger and notebook)

3. jeanvigo thread starter macrumors newbie

jeanvigo

Not sure about what you mean. What I am after would be something that I can plug to a macbook 15" 2016 with touch bar, that can be powerd by the computer. Basically I don't want several adaptors and I was looking for one hub with the ports I listed above.

4. BiteSizeThumb macrumors member

This seems to be what you're looking for: https://www.amazon.ca/HooToo-Delive...qid=1487273788&sr=8-29&keywords=usb-c+to+hdmi

However there's mixed reviews on it. I've never used it, but delivering power while on HDMI and USB through a single USB-C port, especially on a 15" model, is a bit tough.

5. BiteSizeThumb macrumors member

6. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

7. lambertjohn macrumors 6502

It's a terrible solution. It's a step back in time. This is 2017 for goodness sakes. Why couldn't Apple have just built-in all the ports we need without asking us to buy some ridiculous metal dongle that hangs off the side of our $2k computer? Oh wait, they did...in 2015!

8. jeanvigo thread starter macrumors newbie

jeanvigo

It looks like the one I need. Thanks man. it is similar to the satechi one but it has the hdmi included. question: is it already on the market or they are still producing it?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 17, 2017 ---
    You know what? I was thinking the same and I was going to buy a 2015 mbp, but I kept searching for infos and I realized that for a common use the 2015 one is probably the best choice but if you edit videos as I do, there is no comparison there. The new macbook is lightning faster, of course the ports sound like a pain in the ass but more and more companies are usbc oriented wich means in a few month you will find devices that will fit natively on your new port.

9. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

I said it's a better solution than dongles, but ***OBVIOUSLY*** ISN'T AS GOOD AS HAVING THE PORTS BUILT IN!

10. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

Do you want a Thunderbolt 3 hub?
    I've had very good experiences with TB2 CalDigit hubs (although no experience with their TB3 Station, which I think they are about to start shipping.) However, I'm not sure how well their new USB-C and TB3 products meet your specific needs

11. jeanvigo thread starter macrumors newbie

jeanvigo

Thanks for the suggestion, that is a very good product, but the one I am after is meant for a Macbook pro. it needs to take power from the computer. I have to use it on the go. Probably one of the best solution for a desktop mac