Help a Mac noob know what to do!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Capital Inertia, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Capital Inertia macrumors newbie

Hello all, as I impatiently wait for my base Retina 15 to arrive. I'm trying to plan what I need to do first. I currently have a Windows 8 and 7 machine and this is my first Mac. To ease my transistion I think I will be using VMware or parallels. Do I need to partition my tiny 256 drive? Or is that only neccessary for a boot camp type setup?

Eventually I will buy the Mac software I need, CS6 and Quickbooks but until I get the extra money, a VM makes sense to run windows version I have. (Also need Civ5 for when no one is looking :D )

I think I can do without MS office, with Pages being free and all. I also use google drive a lot. I'm looking forward to my iphone syncing with my notes and calander. My hope is that going with an all Mac eco system I can be more effiecient and organized.

What are your must haves to be productive?

2. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

No need to partition with VM's. Be careful with Quicken products. Their Mac versions are not up to par with the Windows versions.

3. Capital Inertia thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks I will keep that in mind for QB. Maybe just VM or remote in to my windows desktop.