HELP a new convert

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gloryofgreece, Feb 7, 2008.

1. gloryofgreece macrumors member

Hi guys, I am a new switcher and I love my macbook SR. I couple questions for you guys,

1. How well does matlab run on the macbook? ;) A friend of mine is too poor to purchase one, and he download a torrent for it, aside from being illegal :eek:, will it work? :rolleyes:
    2. Am i better off purchasing office for mac 08 than running neo office for some of spreadsheet stuff?

:apple::apple::apple::apple:

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

Don't know about Matlab, but I'd recommend you try NeoOffice for a few days and see how it meets your needs. If not, then consider Office.

I'm an occasional spreadsheet user, so NeoOffice works great for what I need.

3. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

You might also consider iWork '08. It's an Apple suite that is compatible with office and it's a lot cheaper ($79 single - $99 family) They have a 30 day free trial available.

4. brandonshough macrumors regular

brandonshough

Don't forget you can pick up office 08 for $150 U.S student/educators

5. hydrokayak macrumors member

I was in the same boat as you about a week ago. I'm a switcher -- and was looking for something to do work for college (Nursing major). I needed something with a decent spreadsheet application, and a text editor. I assessed my situation, and decided to try some products out.

I tried Office '08 and iWork '08. Office seemed sluggish -- and actually had me going up a wall with finiding things. I loved iWork -- as it just worked. It's easy to find things in the program, and it's not too expensive. I really like it. Quick, and efficient.

I recommend you try out some options -- it's really a personal preference. Make sure your institution doesn't require a certain program for you to use. Matlab? Not really sure how well it works -- only used it on a PC. I'm sure you'll find a solution that will work for you in no time -- it'll just take a little effort.

6. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Hey hydrokayak - how do you find using the two computers in your signature together? Is it hard to keep them in sync? I ask because I'm considering a new MBP, but when I priced it out, the cost of an imac and a macbook together came to the same price.

7. hydrokayak macrumors member

I actually don't have the iMac yet. It's on order -- shipped today. I never really had an issue with the PC when I had a PC laptop and PC desktop. It's just keeping on top of the files that's the issue. I synced my music every week or so -- same with video content. I download a lot of video content -- that being podcasts --and I just needed to sync everything every week or so. I have a NAS for common files -- and I just run them from the NAS. It's a pretty slick setup.

I find myself using one computer more than the other -- usually the desktop. I love the protability of the desktop -- but the productiveness of a big desktop rig. I'd highly recommend this route. It's a great route if you ask me. Just keep on top of it -- I'm thinking of getting a .Mac account to sync files.

How IS .Mac? Worth the cash?

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

I think the value of .Mac is proportional to the number of its features that you use.

I use the email feature all of the time. the Sync feature (to keep the keychains, addr book, calendar and widgets of my Macs in sync) daily, iDisk a few times a week, the Web Gallery a few times a month, and occasionally iWeb.

For me, it's well worth it, esp. when you can buy it from Amazon or eBay for a lot less than $99.00