Help a New Mac user fix his dad's Mac, please! :)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Galantry, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Galantry macrumors newbie

My Dad has been experiencing a few problems with his Mac - a 1.25 Ghz PowerPC G4 running OS X Tiger 10.4.6.

Things have apparently been up and down for a while. He bought Leopard but then found some vital software he uses wasn't compatible, and until he can afford to purchase the newer software he has chosen to roll back to Tiger.

Recently we encountered the fun "Your Network Settings have been changed by another application" endless loop accompanied by internet drop outs for the Mac and two other PC's running from a wireless network using an Airport Extreme. I managed to fix this. But with each new problem my Dad was growing rather fed up. He's not too tech savvy, and when this morning he found the internet down again he decided to just do a reinstall. I've no idea why the net dropped out this morning because he did the reinstall before I even knew there was a problem. Anyway so here I am sitting at a freshly installed OS X - Tiger, as above.

What I'd like help with is advice on what updates and upgrades to go for to get things running well and smoothly, and preferably without the previous network issue which is apparently caused by a security update.

I've only been a Mac user since I came to visit my Dad, and so though 've looked around for info there's so much back knowledge it's hard to know what's what.

So if you have the time, I'd appreciate some help in updating/upgrading this Mac. I'm thinking the OS will need updating, and then Safari. I've no idea what else. My dad tends to use the computer only for image manipulation - scanning, Photoshop - and internet browsing.

The thing that has been most problematic is the internet dropouts, so if possible I'd like to update without running into known problems.

Thanks.

2. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

If he already re-installed the Tiger operating system, click on the :apple: in the top left corner of the screen, click the software update, and do all the updates first.

The last version of Tiger was at 10.4.11 and you're at 10.4.6.

I guess see if the problems come up then.

Or try running disk utility in Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility and run the "repair permissions."

3. Galantry thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that. I was wondering, though, if anyone knew anything about the different update versions, any associated problems, and if a manual install was then possible?

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Just upgrade to the latest version. It fixes far more problems than it introduces. Once absolutely all the upgrades have been installed (you may need to install one set - restart and then install another set) see if that has fixed the problems.