help a newbie out

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sambarry, Jul 28, 2008.

1. sambarry macrumors member

sambarry

Hi all,

I got a MacBook the other day, and love it! Can't believe I was a windows user for so long.

But I have a few questions, all very noobish.

1) I accidentally removed the 'Home' link on the left side of the 'Macintosh HD' folder and I'd really like to get it back. How do I go about doing that?

2) Say, for exammple I was copying music from my server to my Mac and I close my mac. Would it quit the copying process or just go to sleep, but cnotinue to copy?

3) It seems to get very hot, are there any intenal temperature widets available?

4) Is it possible to set all video files to open in VLC player automatically instead of Qtime?

Cheers!

2. gentlegiantcrai macrumors regular

1) Right Click - customized Toolbar

2) Idk - have desktop

3) istat Pro

4)Right click video file > Get info. > Under "Open With" change it to VLC Player and click "change All"

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

2) Sleeping the Mac will halt almost all activity, including copy jobs in progress.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

1. Just drag your user folder back there. Go to your HD on your desktop, then users, click on your username and drag the folder to the side.

2.It would stop copying, although it might try to resume when you opened it again.

3. istat pro or istat nano are both very good. Google them.

4. Yes. Choose a file, right click, get info ... near the bottom it says open this file with - choose VLC, then right below that click change all. You'll have to do this for each file type, i.e., .mov, .mp4, .wmv, etc.

5. sambarry thread starter macrumors member

sambarry

Ace, cheers guys!

Anyone recommend any cool apps as well? I'm looking for a WinAmp esque media player.

6. gentlegiantcrai macrumors regular

xslimmer - removes the univ. Binary saving HD space

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

There aren't many for Mac OS X, especially like Winamp, other than iTunes itself. The ones I know of are special-purpose players that play file types iTunes can't, but can't play files iTunes can.

For example: CocoModX for your module files
    Audio Overload for (most) video game music

8. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Welcome to the brotherhood!:D

Seems like all your problems have been already solved above!
    Any other problems.... just shoot!:)

9. sambarry thread starter macrumors member

sambarry

Awesome! Much more helpful than any Windows based help forums :rolleyes: hah!

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

however if you accidentally put it to sleep and quickly wake it back up the transferring of data can normally be resumed.

to put the lid down and keep the computer on i recommend insomniaX. great little menu bar program!!!

its like that around here :p

11. sambarry thread starter macrumors member

sambarry

Perfect, i had a program like that on my iPhone 2G that kept net coverage after you'd closed the application you were running. Helps a lot!! Cheers! :D