Help a noob out.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MetalMuzic, Mar 15, 2011.

1. MetalMuzic macrumors newbie

MetalMuzic

Hi guys,

I'm a total noob to Mac, and I'm planning on buying my first iMac (iMac G3 Indigo). I have no idea of the specs, but I know it runs OS X Tiger, So that must be good right? Did I make a good choice?:confused::apple:

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

If you're describing it correctly, you're buying a mac that is more than 10 years old, with an OS version that is almost six years old.

If you're not planning on doing much other than internet and e-mail, than you're probably ok. But PowerPC's are essentially obsolete at this point. It's going to be difficult to find new software that runs on it.

3. MetalMuzic thread starter macrumors newbie

MetalMuzic

i was planning on using it for itunes, just because it's taking up so much space on my PC, and i've got a 120 GB hard drive thats compatible with it, so i just wanted it for an itunes computer.

4. MetalMuzic thread starter macrumors newbie

MetalMuzic

Total Noob Post.

Hey guys,

Total noob here. Is there any way to customize the look of OS X Tiger to look like OS X Leopard? I have an Indigo iMac G3 running Tiger, but I favor the leopard look. I'm not completely sure of the specs of the iMac, because I bought it second hand, and i know that it would probably run slower, but it was just a thought that popped into my head. Any ideas?

5. Chris5488 macrumors regular

I wouldn't buy it. Not since the latest iTunes requires OS X 10.4 or higher (OS X Tiger is 10.3, so you are stuck with an old version of iTunes). It also needs at least a G4 processor and you have G3.

So you will be stuck with an old version of iTunes, which won't support all features or new innovations in the iTunes store. No support for newer iPods or iPhones,...

I'd recommend you to buy the first Intel-generation iMac.

6. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

yes the iMac g3 is 10 years old , but if you want it for playing itunes then its fine , but it can do more then that , even they are already 10 years old , they make quiet reliable backup computers, for office tasks and general surfing and emailing
    get the tenfourfox browser ;)

7. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Tiger is actually 10.4. But Chris is right about the latest version of iTunes requiring a G4.

If you're just using it as a music server, then there probably isn't anything wrong with it. Just know that its life span is going to be considerably shorter than purchasing a first-gen Intel Mac.

8. highertechnology macrumors 6502

It would be valuable to know what device you are planning to sync with this computer as stated before some idevices would not be compatible.

Also what are you being charged for this computer, or better yet, what is your budget?

9. MetalMuzic thread starter macrumors newbie

MetalMuzic

Thanks guys for your help. I bought the computer, and first off, it's still running 9.2.2 (he didnt know what he was talking about) and im in the process of upgrading it.:apple:

10. Alexjungle macrumors member

Sweet machine. How much did you pay for it? It should be able to run 10.6 no problem. 10.7 too.

11. MetalMuzic thread starter macrumors newbie

MetalMuzic

Uhmmmm, I'm no Mac expert, but I'm almost POSITIVE that an 11 year old computer will be never able to run 10.6 or 10.7 with it's original hardware. It's a long shot just to have 10.4 on it.

But right along. I don't really have any devices to sync with this computer, and I only paid $40 for it.

But on the plus side, I just figured I'd rip the guts out of it, throw in an LCD, and stuff a new computer in an old case. I KNOW i can get it to run 10.6 with some new parts and some elbow grease. the parts are on the way, and the rest I'll just sweat out. Thanks for your help anyway guys.:apple:

12. MetalMuzic thread starter macrumors newbie

MetalMuzic

Total Noob Question

Hey guys,

I'm not really used to any mac hardware, so I'm kinda torn on this. i was wondering what iMac I should get. I've fought with an iMac G3, so anything newer would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    :apple:

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Get the cheapeset one that fits your budget. It doesn't seem like you use it for any more than web browsing, e-mail, music, and watching movies if you've been getting by on a G3.

14. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

1) What do you want to do with a computer?
    2) What is your budget?
    3) What peripherals do you already have (e.g. monitor, printer)?

15. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

you should get a:

27" 3.4 i7 with a 256 GB SSD and 2TB drive, 2 GB 6790 video card, magic trackpad with 16 gigs of ram from apple plus applecare, iwork, one-on-one, aperture 3, FCP 4, Logic 9, filemaker and MS office.

Dont forget the apple remote and battery charger.

16. whoda macrumors member

whoda

You buying?

17. mstrze macrumors 68000

OP:

What's the problem with starting a new, fresh topic to get some help. And perhaps think about a more descriptive thread title (at least until the mods allow mouse-over of the titles to see what the topics are about.) :rolleyes:

MetalMuzic, I realize that it was your original thread, but it's from March. It's OK to start a brand new topic. It really is. :D

18. AdrianK macrumors 68020

But... you can't. Leopard is the last version of OS X to support PPC, and Tiger is the last version of OS X to support the G3. There are no hacks which will make either possible.

10.4.11 is the end of the road for your iMac, you'll never be able to run anything newer.

EDIT: Didn't realise that the OP did a u-turn on the topic halfway though, apologies for the now-redundant response.

19. MetalMuzic thread starter macrumors newbie

MetalMuzic

With the magic of google, and a couple hundred bucks, i DID get the imac G3 to run 10.6. I didn't say i was gonna use the original parts.

and sorry for using this old thread.

anywayz, i have about a thousand to spare, and i'm an all around user. i like to use itunes, internet, and all that good stuff. but i do like gaming. so from all of your expert experience, whats my best choice?

20. MetalMuzic thread starter macrumors newbie

MetalMuzic

no. no i am not.

21. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

22. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

That's very old hardware and software. Many programs won't run on it. It's probably sluggish/slow after so many years of use as well. I would suggest buying a more recent computer, 11 years on the computer world are centuries! 11 years ago not even WiFi had the use it has today, go figure!. It also won't support many peripherals, most importantly printers. Network/workgroup config might be difficult too.

Overall, plenty of minor, yet annoying issues. The first intel iMac would be good if you want to save on that. You could also go for a refurb low-end iMac, they run great.

You would never be able to game on that G3, btw.

23. MetalMuzic thread starter macrumors newbie

MetalMuzic

24. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Dude, if you have that much money then why, why, WHY? are you wasting it on a G3 iMac?

This has nothing to do with being a Mac noob, but rather a computer noob. That amount of money can get you something decent, and as a rule of thumb: if it's more than 3 years old then do not buy it.

Mind explaining how you got 10.6 running on an iMac G3? If that's really what you have.

25. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

If it's not using the original components, then it's not an iMac G3. 10.6 WILL NOT run on PowerPC processors, the G3 is a PowerPC processor.