Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JD76

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
Im a new iPhone user. Here are some issues im having:

Mail:

1) I have it set to manual. Sometimes I just want to read the mail thats already downloaded to the phone. Once I click on the icon, it automatically downloads the recent 25, as thats the least amount in the options menu. Is there anyway for it to not download emails once I press the icon?

2) Is there a quicker way to delete emails? Once it downloads, more often than not, I dont need them on my phone as I have already dealt with them on my laptop.

3) Anyway to lower the number it downloads?

WiFi:

1) Although im at home, once I leave the home and comeback, it has my network checked but doesnt sign on to it.. it stays on Edge for a while.. any reason?

Thanks in advance...

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Check with your email provider if you can change the way you will get the mail fron their server: POP or IMAP, and if you can change some settings so when you read any email it acknowledge the mail as read and doesn't downloaded it.

One alternative is to disable the wifi and edge, I do it via Services a 3rd party app (my iPhone is jailbroken with 1.1.2 firmware).

For checking you wifi settings go to Settings -> General -> Network -> Wi-Fi ->
Wi-Fi ON/OFF
Ask to Join Networks set it as you want ON/OFF
________
Ford Skyliner picture

Last edited:

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
If you can use IMAP, do that. Then you won't have the delete issue.

And the fact that the phone checks mail when you open mail will be much less noticeable/annoying with IMAP.

JD76

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
I checked with my host and they said all I have to do is change the incoming mail server to imap.domain.com ... do i have to do this to both - laptop and iphone in order for both to communicate with server?

What you guys are saying is - IMAP allows the server to know what was read already so the iphone wont download it?

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
I checked with my host and they said all I have to do is change the incoming mail server to imap.domain.com ... do i have to do this to both - laptop and iphone in order for both to communicate with server?

What you guys are saying is - IMAP allows the server to know what was read already so the iphone wont download it?

Yes, you have to change it on both.

If you've read a mail on your laptop, then the phone will still download it. But it will be marked as read and it will be in the folder where you filed it on your laptop.

And if it's deleted, then the phone won't pull in into the inbox. It will do straight to your deleted items or however your mail provider does it. But all this happens in the background, so it shouldn't really bother you much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.