Help! A random sound keeps playing on my macbook pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by isps, Jul 9, 2010.

1. isps macrumors newbie

I am a new mac user and a sound similar to the "Frog" sound effect keeps playing at random times and with no apparent reason. It just plays and at different times...Sometimes it's every 20 seconds, sometimes more or less.
    I disabled the sound in System Preferences and it kept playing. I don't know what else to do since i'm new with mac...
    It's sounding right now, and the only application i have open is safari obviously, and the battery is charging. Help me please!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. isps thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, i rebooted..But i don't know what the SMC and PRAM are and how to do it...

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

PRAM is easy to reset. Restart your Mac, hold down :apple:+Option+P+R until the "bong" sound plays 3 times (or, if the volume is off, until it restarts 3 times).

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

6. isps thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!! =) I reseted the PRAM and so far the sound is gone... If it starts i'll post again...

7. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Do you run MSN for mac? In my experience with Tiger it doesn't appear to be the most stable app, and I'm reasonably certain it made a sound every so often that I couldn't pinpoint since it was seemingly at random.

It was the same sound you get when you have a box pop up that says "ok" or "cancel", and won't go away until you choose an option. If you attempt to click outside the box, it will make an error sound and keep the box on top of all other applications.

8. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

You know whats creepy. my TAM says "Uh-OH" every hour lol

9. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

That's a feature. Mac OS 9 (maybe 8, I can't remember anymore) you could have the clock "chime", on the hour, on the half hour and maybe on the quarter hour using your choice of system sounds. Sounds like yours is setup to do just that. :)