Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knocknak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Aloha everybody! I just wanted to hear your thoughts about this.

I live in Hawaii studying animation and I need to buy a new laptop for the fall 2009 semester.

Q 1) I was planning to buy a 17 inch mbp but I was wondering if Apple had financing available for students other than having to apply for a Juniper Visa Card. T_T

I'm paying for my own tuition by having two jobs, and my family is having trouble with financial crisis that I'm trying to save up everything in my power to get a macbook pro on my own. I really don't want to burden my parents.

I've been skipping meals to save some money... Tried financial aid but it seems like they wouldn't be able to help me... I will be getting a college student discount so that saves me around $200.

I've saved around $1500 so far... but if Apple had 0% or low financing other than having to apply for a visa card, that would help me a lot...

I wanted to get a 4gb 17 inch because I might as well invest on a good computer. I can't afford 8gb ram so I'll probably upgrade later on.

So I guess my biggest dilemma is being able to buy a mbp by mid August.
I make around $800 a month (which is not a lot) and give $200 to my parents from that and donate around $50 to church/charity a month.

Would I be able to make it? I also need to think about tuition and other factors... I'm just so concerned because animation is something I love to do... and its really hard trying to make things work...

I just wanted to get this little problem I have out there.

Mahalo for your attention to this matter, and I hope you have a great day =] thank you for "listening"!

-nak-

**Update** 4/30/09
Hi Guys! I just want to say thank you so much for the replies. I really appreciate it.

Well the thing is, the reason why I need a laptop is because my Animation department is closing down our computer lab due to budget cuts. This semester, I've been practically living in there but I recently found out that it would be gone by next semester because they could not keep up with the licenses on Maya. T.T If they had the lab open next semester, I wouldn't be in this dilemma. And only macbook pros meet the requirements that my school has regarding softwares I need to use and specs compared to PC and macbook.

1) I don't really mind skipping meals too much... I guess I'm getting used to it. I eat at least one meal (lunch) and I eat apples in the morning so its not too bad.
2) My school has charities going on throughout the month and I kind of feel bad when they ask me to donate and I have to tell them no... >_<; I'll work on that.. but yeah... giving has been a part of my life and it helps me to remind myself how fortunate I am to be able to live, have parents, etc.
3) The school highly recommended me a laptop since I would be on and off campus for animation classes and they said it would be better if I had a portable computer.
4) I'm a bit worried about the loan and what not because my parents are in debt and I guess I'm worried about financing.

So my question would be, does anybody know anything about applying as a student developer? o_O Is that like applying for a job or is it like a special program they have for students?
All these recommendations are great. Thank you so much for giving me your 2 cents to this situation. I truly appreciate it.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
You could save a lot of money by getting a 15 inch Macbook Pro or a Macbook and buying an external monitor. If you're studying animation, your university will (or at least, "should") have powerful computing facilities in which you could work on as well.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I would suggest you consider other options...

• eBay
• refurbs
• MacBook and not Pro
• Mini

Take a step back and evaluate your priorities in life...

In light of your financial situation, is a new MBP really wise?
Is this a true need or a want?
Is skipping meals to save for a luxury item the best choice?

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Samslice12

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2008
Australia
You could save a lot of money by getting a 15 inch Macbook Pro or a Macbook and buying an external monitor. If you're studying animation, your university will (or at least, "should") have powerful computing facilities in which you could work on as well.

I would have to agree here. Really, all you get with the 17" Macbook is a bigger screen and increased battery life and you have to pay a few thousand dollars more. 15" is still more than adequate and if you need more, go for an larger separate display which will be larger and cheaper than the 17" Macbook anyway.

At any rate, good luck with the situation mate :)

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
What about an iMac or a refurb? (or any of the things MacDawg suggested)

If you are so broke that you are skipping meals maybe you could skip giving money to church/charity? Also, if you actually have the option of burdening your parents with part of a laptop purchase, maybe they could live without you giving them $200 per month?

I apologize if I sound suspicious but this does come across rather strangely.

Best of luck.

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
I would say get a last gen refurb or 15 inch with external moniter have you tried getting a small college loan to pay off later it seems that would help. Also glad to see you still give to your church/charity!

gianpan

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2008
yes quit giving to church -_-

I admire you for giving money to charity though. You are skipping meals yet you are giving money to charity (I got to admit you make me feel cheap):)

Look for a refurb and maybe settle for the 15 MBP?

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I say stop the church/charity donations for a while. You can make up for it after you've made money which is after college. If you make the most of your education, including through having proper equipment, you'll be able to donate a lot more than if you have struggles in school and end up not getting as good a job or money later in life.

With that said, you probably don't need a full MBP. In fact, I question anyone who says they need a LAPTOP for college. Your computer labs/classes will have adequate computers. I have never seen anyone work on intense animation projects on their laptops in the library either (anytime I've glanced at laptops nearby where I sit in the library I see FaceBook and Word, maximum).

Let's face it, you will probably not be taking the computer outside of your dorm anyway, and with an expensive computer like that you probably wouldn't want to take it outside of your dorm anyway as the chance of something happening and having it break would be devastating.

Now onto my recommendation, since your MBP would act as a de-facto desktop, why not just get the real deal? Get a 24" iMac which costs less money, especially if you get a refurb or clearance model. It will be adequate for your needs for animation, have a bigger screen (making it easier to edit), more storage space, and will double as an adequate TV with a USB TV-tuner which can be had for cheap.

Did I mention it'll be most likely cheaper than getting even the 15" MBP and even more so than the 17"? In fact, you can probably buy the whole setup now with the money you've already saved up, maybe a few bucks more (but definitely in time for August!).

And space won't be an issue either. iMacs take up very little desk space relatively to non-AIO computers. I'd say it'd be comparable to the laptop, if not even less space.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Depending on your intentions for the MBP (there may be some coding/development you'll be doing?), you could apply as a student developer with Apple, which would save more money than the student discount.

kindablue09

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2009
With that said, you probably don't need a full MBP. In fact, I question anyone who says they need a LAPTOP for college.

Really?... College students are probably the prime users of laptops. Personally, I use my to take notes in class but they are useful when working on group projects, taking work to the library, going home for break, or being sexiled (I hope I can say that here).

But I agree with Greg, the imac is a way better deal, especially if you think you'll be doing a majority of your work in your room. or
- previous gen refurb
- pc laptop

But please don't skip meals.

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
Dude, whatever you do, don't stop your church/charity giving. If you're giving, you KNOW (as well as I do) that those things pay off more than you ever give. :D (And for those of your who don't agree, don't start flaming over this - those of us who believe in such things are quite aware of their importance.)

Now, as for computer advice: :)
I recommend you look into a refurb 15" MBP. There's currently a refurb 15" unibody 2.4GHz for $1699 - its only got 2GB RAM, but a 4GB upgrade is less than $70 now. If you REALLY want a 17", there's a previous gen. 17"-er for $1899.

There ya have it - my advice. Of course, my advice and 50 cents will barely buy a stamp these days.. :)

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Dude, whatever you do, don't stop your church/charity giving. If you're giving, you KNOW (as well as I do) that those things pay off more than you ever give. :D (And for those of your who don't agree, don't start flaming over this - those of us who believe in such things are quite aware of their importance.)

:rolleyes:

Iif the church is fine with a person skipping meals to donate to them, and if that is what it takes to stay in their good graces, then I think that's shameful and so is your "advice".

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
You don;t need a MPB.

If you're short of money get a whitebook. They are better than the new alubooks in one important way : firewire

May or may not matter to you.

In some countries Apple give university students big discounts including 3 year free apple care. Dunno if that is the case in your area.

I used to own a PB 15'' It's no big deal.

For college, I would say smaller and lighter and cheaper is better. You want a laptop you can take down the pub or cafe to do some work on.

Creibold

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
Take out a loan

I was in the same boat - so I took out a "school Loan" from a major bank. The interest was low and monthly payments were NOTHING because you put down that $1500 in the beginning. Better way to go than the juniper card. Seriously, it really is a good choice if you can pay into it every month. ;)

drummerlondonw3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
London
^^^ looks like that should be a good idea for you to try.

This is a strange thread. I understand you want to get the best possible computer (who doesn't) but you to understand that you need to eat at the minimum!

I suggest going back and looking at the amount of money you spend. Maybe you could halve your church and family contributions so that way you could put the rest to making sure you can at least eat. I don't know what the US refurb store looks like but go 15 MBP and upgrade Ram at a later date and you should be fine

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
:rolleyes:

Iif the church is fine with a person skipping meals to donate to them, and if that is what it takes to stay in their good graces, then I think that's shameful and so is your "advice".

Without getting into a spiritual discussion (which I know would be wasted time here) anyone who believes in giving also believes in "seek first the kingdom... and all these things will be added as well." It has nothing to do with "staying in good graces" with the church or any organization - it has to do with faith and trust. There... I quit.

And as for skipping meals, I know I can stand to miss a few myself - it might even be good for (some of) us.

Now if you still think my advice is shameful, so be it - I couldn't care less. I believe what I believe... you can believe whatever you want to believe as well. I just shared my advice - take it or leave it. And besides, it was for the OP - not anyone else. :)

creon

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
I would agree with the other posts by saying feed yourself & skip the charity. From the sound of it, you could use the charity.

Keep saving and when you finally do get your Mac it will be worth it for sure!

P.S. Refurb is the only way to go if you are strapped for cash.

knocknak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Depending on your intentions for the MBP (there may be some coding/development you'll be doing?), you could apply as a student developer with Apple, which would save more money than the student discount.

Hi Guys! I just want to say thank you so much for the replies. I really appreciate it.

Well the thing is, the reason why I need a laptop is because my Animation department is closing down our computer lab due to budget cuts. This semester, I've been practically living in there but I recently found out that it would be gone by next semester because they could not keep up with the licenses on Maya. T.T If they had the lab open next semester, I wouldn't be in this dilemma. And only macbook pros meet the requirements that my school has regarding softwares I need to use and specs compared to PC and macbook.

1) I don't really mind skipping meals too much... I guess I'm getting used to it. I eat at least one meal (lunch) and I eat apples in the morning so its not too bad.
2) My school has charities going on throughout the month and I kind of feel bad when they ask me to donate and I have to tell them no... >_<; I'll work on that.. but yeah... giving has been a part of my life and it helps me to remind myself how fortunate I am to be able to live, have parents, etc.
3) The school highly recommended me a laptop since I would be on and off campus for animation classes and they said it would be better if I had a portable computer.
4) I'm a bit worried about the loan and what not because my parents are in debt and I guess I'm worried about financing.

So my question would be, does anybody know anything about applying as a student developer? o_O Is that like applying for a job or is it like a special program they have for students?
All these recommendations are great. Thank you so much for giving me your 2 cents to this situation. I truly appreciate it.

dentedG4

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2007
hackintosh?

How about spending 700 dollars (like im a PC lauren) on a 17 inch pc and then putting osX on it? That would save you a couple grand. good luck :D

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
Alright I realize that this is a mac forum and you have questions about buying a mac. I dont want to make it seem like I am lecturing you but if I were you...

I would stop giving money to church and other groups. When your older you'll be able to afford to give. It sounds like your struggling to get by so get your self together first. GIVE YOUR TIME through volunteering rather than monetary needs.

Ok now that I got that out seriously check out apples refurb page. Here is a link talking about apple referbs. http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/apple_certified.html
Here is a maxed out previous generation mbp.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0G64LL/A?mco=MjE0NjE5MA

Or for $1999 a same exact machine but 2.5 GHz rather than 2.6Ghz.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB766LL/A?mco=MjE0NjE5MA

Again I hope I didn't come off as if I know the answer to all of your problems but like you I want to try and do what I can to help others out. Seriously consider these deals. Yes it may only be a couple hundred dollars in savings but that way you can support yourself, family and community sooner.

Just my thoughts...

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
Earning your degree is rarely ever easy.

There are some obvious choices that you are going to make about life going forward.

It is too bad that your institute of higher learning is removing their labs. That is a de facto tuition increase on all of their students.

That said, I don't think it's reasonable to spend $3000 on a brand new notebook if in order to get it you have to skip meals. It's simply not worth it. If you do not eat properly, you very well might not be healthy enough to do work.

Obviously you are used to making sacrifices and this is another one you are going to have to make.

1. Is your program making it mandatory that every student have a notebook during class? If the answer is yes, you will have to look at a notebook. If the answer is no, I would suggest that you make the sacrifice and get an iMac and do your work at your residence.

2. If you feel you need a high resolution 17" display on a notebook, there are refurbished previous generation ones that are very quick and almost $1000 less. If you are making $800 per month, but in reality only having $550 disposable, you are saving roughly almost 2 months worth of financial liquidity that you would have.

At this point, you really should be looking for the machine with the minimum specs and price for what you need it to be.

Also, what about the cost of the licenses for the programs you need?

LordOfTheMacs

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2008
New Jersey
Aloha everybody! I just wanted to hear your thoughts about this.

I live in Hawaii studying animation and I need to buy a new laptop for the fall 2009 semester.

Q 1) I was planning to buy a 17 inch mbp but I was wondering if Apple had financing available for students other than having to apply for a Juniper Visa Card. T_T

I'm paying for my own tuition by having two jobs, and my family is having trouble with financial crisis that I'm trying to save up everything in my power to get a macbook pro on my own. I really don't want to burden my parents.

I've been skipping meals to save some money... Tried financial aid but it seems like they wouldn't be able to help me... I will be getting a college student discount so that saves me around $200.

I've saved around $1500 so far... but if Apple had 0% or low financing other than having to apply for a visa card, that would help me a lot...

I wanted to get a 4gb 17 inch because I might as well invest on a good computer. I can't afford 8gb ram so I'll probably upgrade later on.

So I guess my biggest dilemma is being able to buy a mbp by mid August.
I make around $800 a month (which is not a lot) and give $200 to my parents from that and donate around $50 to church/charity a month.

Would I be able to make it? I also need to think about tuition and other factors... I'm just so concerned because animation is something I love to do... and its really hard trying to make things work...

I just wanted to get this little problem I have out there.

Mahalo for your attention to this matter, and I hope you have a great day =] thank you for "listening"!

-nak-

Okay, buddy
With $1500 you shoould get a $ 600 mac mini and the $800 cinnema display.

at about $1500 including tax, you would be good to go.
or you could get a base unibody macbook for $1299 or the base 24-inch iMac
for $1200. Or, you could save up more for an MBP:D

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Refurb macbook for $1100? OR...

1. Write up Microsoft's PR department, explain your situation, and tell them you'd like to be on the next MS 'laptop hunters' ad. Have them buy you a HP 17" for however much money. You can then:

a. Sell the new laptop in the box on ebay or craigslist, and add that to your original $1500.

b. Wait for somebody else to watch the commercial and give you a 17" MBP. (Total win!) OTOH, you may have to be as cute as Lauren for this to work.

c. Take remaining funds and invest heavily in snack ramen noodles and a portable hot pot for the dorm.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath

I am willing to assist you. Sent you an e-mail since you don't have enough posts for a PM.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
If you're having trouble paying for a new laptop, how can you pay $2000 for Complete or $5000 for Unlimited?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.