Help a teacher out =)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iRx7fani, Jan 24, 2008.

1. iRx7fani macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

I am a teacher who is looking to use some OSX's icons in my keynote. The problem is the icons are so small, that I ended up using quicklook to make them larger then capturing the image using Snapz X Pro. Is there a program that allow me to open these icon files, edit them, make them larger, and saving them as a jpg so I can use them in keynote?

Thanks for your help,

Andy

2. millap macrumors regular

Try googling for each application in turn i.e. "Safari icon" and then click on the images tab in google. You should be able to find most of them at either 128x128 or better still, some are 512x512 which look great.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

You can get them off your computer by selecting the application in question, cmd+I then select the icon at the top of the info window, cmd+c. Open up preview cmd+n. Select the biggest size, cmd+a, cmd+c, cmd+n.

4. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

If you're feeling brave, Control-click on the application's icon and select Show Package Contents. In the resulting folder there'll be a folder called Contents and within that Resources. Within that you'll find a file called for example Safari.icns - that can be opened in preview.

Edit: xUKHCx's method is easier and achieves the same thing :-(

5. iRx7fani thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the great tips guys,

But how do I edit the .icn files? Can photoshop open it? Or Illustrator? What programs do the designer use to create these files?

Thanks
    Andy

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I think there are a few tools out there that enable you to make them such as img2icns. There is also Icon Composer which is part of the developers tools but I have never used that before.