Help! Abnormal high CPU usage related to Launchd and SystemGUIServer

Discussion in 'macOS' started by eeerik, Jan 26, 2009.

1. eeerik macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, hope someone can help me with this!

Yesterday my Macbook (2ghz intel, 1gb ram) started to behave strangily, with nothing running CPU usage is at ~30% and temperature rises really quickly to around 70-80 degrees celsius. In activity monitor I have seen that it is a process called SystemGUIServer that is responsible for the CPU usage and when you kill its parent process, launchd, it all functions as normal with 0% CPU at idle. However, killing launchd seems to reduce funtionality on many other levels so its a solution...

Anyone that has a clue what is wrong and how to fix it?

Thankful for all assistance I can get!

(The problem seems similar to this one but the solution posted there did not help.)

/Erik

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You really don't want to kill launchd. Also can you post a screenshot of said high CPU usage? Did you try starting your Mac?

3. eeerik thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. Rebooting doesn't help and I'll see if I can get a screenshot up.

I also found this which seems to be a related problem and I'm just curious how you can find out if processes are restarted in the way described?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Check your logs before you go off and start killing processes and other wild goose chases.

5. eeerik thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, its a goosechase since I don't know where to look or what to look for...

What should i look for in the logs?

After reboot another process taking up much cpu usage was visible in activity monitor, blued.

Screenshot

6. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

The "blued" process is for Bluetooth. Turn off Bluetooth and see what happens.

S-