Help about formating usb 2.0 on macbook and pc

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vigorito, Mar 4, 2013.

1. vigorito macrumors regular

I have kingstone usb 2.0 16gb which is formated ntfs in win,i recenty switch to macbook pro and i was using usb for some reads and writes,i wanted to use that usb to make a bootable win 7 usb disk drive while i was formating usb in mac several times i press the zero someting erase option or i forgot how was the name of erase option so mac start to erase usb and estimate time was 50+ minutes i stopped that and now when i insert usb into win machine its shows only 180mb instead of 16gb,when usb is in mac it shows 16gb and im able to copy win 7 iso file on it but when is in win machine its shows 180mb only,i tried to format like ntfs in mac and copy win 7 iso file 4gb but when i insert usb into win machine first thing win ask me is A MUST format so i will lose iso file which i allready copy to usb and after format win see usb only like 180mb please help how to make usb ntfs again 16gb for mac and win too thanks

2. zone23 macrumors 68000

I format to ExtFat its readable in both Windows and OSX.

3. vigorito thread starter macrumors regular

Ok i will try it now,but is there any limitation with file size on ex fat like 4gb?

4. leman macrumors 604

No, exFAT was designed specifically to overcome these limitations of older FAT systems.

5. vigorito thread starter macrumors regular

Ok i will try it, but can i install win 7 on macbook pro 13 retina with bootable usb drive with exfat formated not ntfs?

6. leman macrumors 604

Well, thats a different matter. If you want to make a bootable windows installation key you can use Bootcamp Assistant to prepare one - works only if you have one of Macs without optical drive. If your macbook has an optical drive, its easier just to burn a DVD. There are some tools and methods which will allow you to create a bootable USB key, but it can be a bit tricky.

7. vigorito thread starter macrumors regular

I sont have optical drive so i need a usb,i allready play few hours with boot camp but its just refusing every time to make a bootable usb so i took win machine to make it and i will try if not i will buy external drive, thanks for help i did ex fat and it worked after that i again format it ntfs over exfat and it good now