Help about Ram

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrbrightside623, May 24, 2009.

1. mrbrightside623 macrumors regular

Hey All, I am looking for 4gb ram for my Macbook Pro (got it in September of 2008 right before the Unibodies came out). I was reading on this forum with people having trouble with Corsair and Kingston ram and that Crucial and OWZ is what most people are using. Is this good ram to use? http://www.frys.com/product/5503990?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Also, is there a pictured guide on how to install the ram into my MBP?

Thanks In Advanced

-Tony

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Guide at the bottom of the page under Installing memory in other MacBook Pros: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1270 .

And yes, the RAM seems to be of this type 200-pin PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 SO-DIMM, which is the one, that has to be used.

3. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

crucial is a very good RAM stick. my personal favorite is Kingston. OWC is probably the best bang for your buck tho. you cant go wrong with those three.

4. mrbrightside623 thread starter macrumors regular

I just heard horror stories of Kingston not running 2x2gb on my version of the MBP for some weird reason and just don't want to go through the issues. I just wanna pick up and go if you know what I mean. OWZ isn't found in Fry's, not that I know of though. I wouldn't mind getting it if I saw it. Kingston's are usually what I use but have used corsair once and so far its going strong in my gaming rig. Thanks for your responses guys. And if I may ask, where can I find OWZ ram? I want to make a quick comparison I guess. Online store is fine by me.

-Tony

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

macsales

6. mrbrightside623 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks ViciousShadow21. I will compare the crucial with the OWZ. OWZ has the lifetime warranty so I'm drawn to that. If the crucial offers the same lifetime warranty, I might get that since its readily available and no shipment is needed.

-Tony

7. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

yea man its a good deal for sure.

8. mrbrightside623 thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I will have to go for the OWZ ram. I just went to Fry's and they said there is no warranty on the Crucial Ram. Looked like they were refurbs or something cuz it came in a little baggy.

-Tony

9. feuerschlange macrumors regular

Why not upgrade with the OWC 6GB RAM package?

I did this upgrade from 4GB to the OWC 6GB RAM package some month ago after they lowered the prices for the pre unibody package.

The MBP really shows another character with that RAM.
    You may pay double the price, as for a good 4GB RAM set, but it is really worth it.

Overall system responsiveness has been increased a lot over my 4GB Kingston package (not to mention the 2GB stock RAM).

The service and warranty of the OWC guys is great too.
    Make sure, you check out their policy regarding hard drives too (they have a service, to send out exchange drives before getting a defective drive back for much less hassle at the customer side).

I made business with them a few times and never have been let down.
    The last thing I did with them were two Hitachi 500GB 5400 drives, I did a upgrade from my stock 250 GB Hitachi - only satisfaction here :D

10. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I got this Kingston 4g upgrade kit from Newegg. It is Apple certified for the Macbooks and MBPs (pre-unibody.) It's probably the same thing as their basic notebook memory of the same configuration, and would work in any laptop using this memory type, but it's packaged as Mac memory. It works just fine in my MBP.

11. mrbrightside623 thread starter macrumors regular

Well the only thing holding me back from getting 6gb is because I don't got much money to use. Plus it is my dad who will be paying for it. I think I will be going with the 4gb OWZ Low Latency CAS 4 Ram which is priced at $61.99 USD vs. $58.95 USD for the CAS 5 ram.

-Tony

12. mrbrightside623 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey All, Thx for the help. I received my OWC Low Latency CAS4 Ram today and installed it. I'm not sure if it feels any faster. I'm sure I installed it right since the computer detected 4gb. I reset the PRAM and NVRAM after install because I was getting the beachball even while trying to type my password in to login. What is ya'lls take on this?

-Tony

13. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

open it up and do it again. sounds like it's not sitting right.

14. mrbrightside623 thread starter macrumors regular

maybe your right. i feel this weird electrical current on my hands when i hold up the MBP from the bottom. It leaves a tingling sensation after i put the MBP down too. :/ ones more time it is.... will report back.

-Tony

UPDATE: Ok, I opened it up and reseated the Ram but this time I swapped their places. I pressed the Ram in pretty hard at the 25 degree angle that was stated on Apple's webpage. The ram basically slid in very easily and smoothly. The pins are barely noticeable as it was the first time but I swapped their places in case anyways. My MBP seems ok right now I guess. And No more Electrical Current Feeling thus far.
    Thanks

-Tony

15. JCastro macrumors 6502a

congrats!

I will be doing the same thing once I get back to the US. I am also torn between Crucial and OWC. My only draw to OWC over Crucial is that I can order a 500GB/7200 HDD at the same time and do it all.

16. mrbrightside623 thread starter macrumors regular

Yup. Kill 2 birds with one stone :D. So far this Ram is great. Working superbly.
    Good Luck on whatever choice you make. I'm sure you'll be happy.

-Tony

17. JCastro macrumors 6502a

Thanks! Glad it is working out for you!