Help About Stacks and data loss.please

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by codyhouston, Jan 14, 2009.

1. codyhouston macrumors newbie

I recently tried to put my adobe cs3 collection into a stack on my desktop for organization. When i open one of the programs it says "it was moved from original location and needs to be repaired." i click repair now and it opens then another window pops up and says "you have at least one output module template that refers to a missing output pulg-in. Please check your ouput module templates." I dunno whats wrong. Is there a way i can restore the programs?because some effects are missing in the program. thanks. your help is greatly appreciated.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

The easiest route is to reinstall CS3. CS3 is annoying like that.

The repair function is totally broken. There's directions someplace to get a SQLlite to edit blah blah, but it didn't work (for me).

3. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Don't know if applications can survive in stacks. You can make an alias of the application and put that alias in your stack.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Seems fine to me.

5. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Why do you use stacks anyway? Have you ever tried the list view for docked folders? (to switch it, simply click and hold on the docked stack icon) List view is much superior to stacks.

6. codyhouston thread starter macrumors newbie

okay so there is pretty much no chance of me getting them back to normal unless i reinstall it? im think about going up to the apple store and telling them about it and see if they can do anything to help

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

How did you put them into a stack? Did you move the apps? If so, moving them back should fix your issue.

8. codyhouston thread starter macrumors newbie

i moved them into a folder. then after they needed to be repaired i moved them back but it didnt help

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That's probably a product of the repair thingy's buggering everything up. Yeah, a reinstall is probably the way to go now. Adobe is an invasive and self-centred piece of software.

10. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Once you have everything working again in the original locations, keep in mind that you can still do what you originally intended to do, but by only putting aliases of the applications into a stack rather than the actual application. I've done much the same thing for convenience in an "Adobe" stack/folder in my dock.

11. codyhouston thread starter macrumors newbie

so if they are just originally on the dock i make alias of them and a stack for them then i can remove them from my dock? i dont wanna make the same mistake again.ha

12. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

OK, here is simple version of that!

1. Make a folder somewhere- perhaps inside your Applications folder.
    2. Name it whatever you like- let's say "Adobe"
    3. Click one of the Adobe apps you would like to appear in the stack, then click Command+L (or use File-->Make Alias) to create an alias of the app
    4. Drag the alias to your "Adobe" folder
    5. Repeat for any other apps you want to be in the stack
    6. When you are done adding aliases, drag the Adobe folder to the right hand side of the dock and release.
    7. You will now have a stack with all your Adobe apps similar to the attached pic

BTW- Don't be confused by looking for the little "arrow" alias indicators in my pic. The icons in the pic ARE aliases but I modified my alias indicator to be a green dot instead of the arrow symbol.

(As far as any icons currently in your dock, just click and drag them off the dock and the aliases will disappear in a "poof".)

Attached Files: